Rat Bites Me When Being Hand Fed

Help Support Rat Shack Forum:

Morrigan

So I've never had this issue before. In general, I've never had a rat continuously bite me when feeding them. Certainly, I've never had it happen twice AND draw blood like it has here with this rat.

He's normally a very sweet guy! Very gentle! But when I feed Nerves (my rat) around other rats he'll lunge for food, grab my finger and won't let go.

Now, should I just avoid feeding him around other rats? Or is there a way to address this behaviour so he can chill out when I'm handing them each a treat? I always make sure to give each rat a treat if I'm giving it to one, so it's not like he should have to compete.

He's a year and a half, and this behaviour has just gotten worse recently. I'm wondering if it has to do with vision loss in one eye.

Attachments

instantjazzy

Maybe he doesn't like being fed with the others. or it could also be the latter. You can wear something to protect your fingers.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
Staff member
Admin
Offer his food and treats from a spoon and if you can do just soft foods that he needs to lick, even better. Eventually he will stop biting especially since he won't like biting the spoon.

Group Builder