Rat bite fever??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaySilver

Around December 31 my 7 year old cousin was bit by one of my pet rats. (Was my fault, he smelt like my other rats and intros were not going well).

Wound healed fine, I am aware rat bite fever is really rare but I kept my eyes out for symptoms but he seemed fine. I know symptoms usually arise within 21 days and after that amount of time I figured he was fine.
But a week ago I noticed what looked like a rash on the hand he got bit on, and it faded really quickly. Today he came home from school with chills, a headache and a fever.

It is cold season and everyone in the house has had a fever over the last few weeks. He normally has a headache whenever he gets a fever and he also has a bit of a cough which doesn't seem like rat bit fever.

Given the bite happened so long ago is it possible that this is rat bite fever? Or am I just being paranoid?

If the rash went away fairly quick I wouldn't jump to think that it could be rat bite fever. If the rash consisted of red dots on the palm of his hands or soles of his feet that would be a reason to be slightly more concerned. Although fever headaches and chills are common signs of rat bite fever, I'm not sure if I personally would be to overly concerned. But if you do have a bad feeling or are just worried and want to put that at rest you could take your rat or your cousin to get tested for rat bite fever. If you decide not to get tested keep an eye on your cousin or inform his parents to as well. Keep an eye out for more rashes and other symptoms. You can also research a bit more if it makes you feel any better.
Good luck!

Some of the further along symptoms of RBF can include:
fever
chills
red streaks coming from the site of where the bite happened
skin rash
vomiting
sore throat
diarrhea
and very rarely muscle pain

Back