RAT ATE GLASS !!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

I broke a glass up inside my room and I didn't think it got to the cage but apparently it did. As I was getting ready to clean the floor I heard a little craking noise from the inside of the cage and it was one of the rats chewing on glass. It wasn't a loud noise and I couldn't see any glass so it wasn't a big piece but it was definitely glass. I checked her mouth for blood and there wasn't any. Is there anything I should look out for ?

Last edited:
I'd have a rat-experienced vet on speed dial. I imagine if shards of glass were ingested, they would begin damaging all of her internal organs. I've never dealt with glass-eating from a rat or person, but I imagine look for blood in the stool, mouth, etc. If the rat becomes lethargic, uninterested in food, uninterested in water, etc. call the vet. In fact, I would call your vet for advice now and find good emergency vets that can treat your rat if something happens.

Back