Rat acting terrified all of a sudden

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milo

Hi!

I've got two rats around 6-7 months old, and one of them is suddenly acting terrified all of a sudden. The other day she was out of the cage and I went to put her and her sister back in, and she just freaked out and wouldn't let me pick her up, ran all around the room away from me to hide behind the cage. It took me about 5-10 minutes to catch her and put her back in.

They've always both been a little timid, but never to this extent, enough that I'm worried about letting her out again. And the other girl is fine, no problems.

And she starts out fine when I let her out, crawling over me and playing like normal, then suddenly just goes nuts.

We have cats, but they've never gotten in the room so it's not like there's a new pet smell or whatever to suddenly freak her out.

I've read stuff about "fear periods" in rats, could that potentially be it? Any remedies?

Otherwise what else could it be?

Thank you!!!

That could be it and the age is right for it. I find there's a fear phase at around 3 to 4 month and/or 6 to 7 months when they become fully adult. What you could do for when it's time to go home, always give them a special treat when it's time. I do that with mine and now when I say it's time to go home they all rush to me because they know the treat is coming.

I've been reading the cases of other rats going through the fear phase and I'm not 100% convinced my Baby is going through it. He is around 8 months now and he has always been super friendly and especially likes to lick fingers. About a week ago he just stopped licking and being as friendly. He also sometimes just stops moving and he will just hang over his chew toy or huddle on top of the cage. His eyes also don't seem to be as open as before and sometimes he looks a little sleepy. I've felt for pain spots but he doesn't seem to have any. He did have a fall recently but he seemed okay afterwards. Should I be worried or could this also be a fear phase that he's going through?

I've been reading the cases of other rats going through the fear phase and I'm not 100% convinced my Baby is going through it. He is around 8 months now and he has always been super friendly and especially likes to lick fingers. About a week ago he just stopped licking and being as friendly. He also sometimes just stops moving and he will just hang over his chew toy or huddle on top of the cage. His eyes also don't seem to be as open as before and sometimes he looks a little sleepy. I've felt for pain spots but he doesn't seem to have any. He did have a fall recently but he seemed okay afterwards. Should I be worried or could this also be a fear phase that he's going through?
He might be sick. I would bring him to a vet to have a listen to his lungs, make sure he doesn't have a respiratory infection.

Back