Radar behaviour and pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rock on Nessie! There's somebody who understands everybody and everybody just wants to be understood..

I'm sorry for Radar that he got hurt. Would it help at all if he had half days with somone who got along wiith him (maybe Nessie) so he would lose his lone-wolf thing when he was with the group?

Jo, I just got all caught up on the saga that is Radar. He sounds like such a character! Hopefully he can be integrated into some sort of group, or get a girlfriend :) I've had a lone rat in the past (Ichabod), and they really do get lonely/bored unless they get a ton of out-time and cuddles.

Hi SoA!!!

I agree... Right now he's out of his cage from 11am till 3pm on week days and on weekends he's out from 3pm till 9pm.

But he's still alone for the other 20 hours and that still kills me. I'm trying another intro in a month and if that doesn't work, I'm going to look for an older spayed female.

You're in luck! I just cleaned Radar's cage and took pics:

Although his cage is open from 11am till 3pm, he still likes to hang out in his cage most of the time:

radarcageOct.bmp.jpg

A closer look:

radarcageoct2.jpg

And the good looking man himself:

Radaroct2.jpg

Frustrating for you! Radar sounds like Edith was. And now I have a mini-Edith on my hands: Stella, from my young group, snorts and puffs when she smells the big girls. She has bitten me twice when I smelled like them, and that started after she was spayed.

So I will keep waiting to see how the Radar story turns out before I get serious with Stella's intro! (weaseling out, I know....)

Aw what a handsome guy. Well he's like my girls, they don't necessarily want to come out, but they like the option of having the cage open.

I figure he's well over two. He's got bumblefoot, sparse fur, takes tons of rat naps, set in his ways. Ya, he's an old man.

Godmother, send me Stella, I bet they would make a great couple. :lol:

Well... there's no doubt about it, Radar is lonely.
He usually gets the run of the dining room and living room, but lately he's just been hanging around the big cage, staying near the rats on the other side. Each time I go near him, he runs to me, stands on his back legs and begs for attention. Each time he's locked in his cage, he goes nuts if anyone goes near the cage, he popcorns, jumps, runs and begs. When the other rats are out and goes near his cage, he desperately tries to "eat" his way out of the cage, not to attack, but to be with them.
I've been trying to see who I could pull out of one of the cages to be his "wife". I thought of sweet Flea. She's older, docile, calm and a loner. I thought, perfect match, they look alike.

Here's what I mean:

Radar:

Radar.jpg

And Flea
smFleaout2.jpg

Put them on the couch tonight... but it was a no go. Flea was not interested, she became very anxious and worried. At her age, I knew it was touch and go with her. She's old and prefers calm rats around her.

Just then, I hear a huge commotion in the young cage. Of course, it's my Isabelle, being a real "pain" yet again. This time, she set her sights on Sophie and she's just running scared. So I take Isabelle out and plop her on the couch with Radar. She is younger, 16 months but she has a real "boss" like personality. Both of them are standoffish but not put off. They hang out for a while and then I plop them both in Radar's cage and I watch.

Radar starts to popcorn around like an excited kid at the candy store. He ventures near Isabelle for a quick smell but when she senses him, he popcorns away. When Isabelle settles down, he slowly approaches her and sticks his nose deep in her big dumbo ear. ?? Not sure what that meant but she had no problems with it. He would run back to the corner, excited but containing himself. Then when he no longer could, he would run back to her, to make sure she was still there.
I'm telling you... it was the sweetest thing in the world.
I put her back in the young cage for over night. But tomorrow, there will be another date. I will clean their love nest and if all goes as well as it did tonight... they will be "married".
:heart:

Here are a couple of pics taken tonight, during the cage date:

Mom... there's a girl in my cage!

RIsa.jpg

For me? really for me?

RIsa3.jpg

Taking that sniff:

RIsa4.jpg

I like you!

RIsa2.jpg

Going for the ear...

RIsa5.jpg

Stay tuned!

I KNEW you would find someone for him! (knocks on wood)

And it doesn't surprise me that it's a particularly spunky girl. He needs a strong lady to tell him what's what!!

I think you've got it right on. At first I was thinking, a quiet girl, one that will submit to him. But no... not Radar, he needs a woman to make him submit.

Oooh, I'm so excited. We must keep our fingers crossed!!

Well, good luck!. I sure hope that he finds a cagemate to suit both him and you. He's definitely gonna have one. I hope it's a happy unionf for both!

Back