Radar behaviour and pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now if you just move in there with him where you're close enough to kiss his butt physically..... he'll have you totally trained! :whip:

Hey, at least my whole upper body can fit in Radar's cage. :thumbup:

So here's his new home:

RadarFN.jpg

RadarFN2.jpg

And here he is enjoying his Oxbow in his new cube:

Radarpeek.jpg

Radar, you lucky, handsome fellow you!!
I'm just curious Jo, (and forgive me if this has already been discussed), how is Radar's behavior with new babies?
I found that Irwin is making a great uncle to my new little ones. He'll lay there and let them groom him, wheras if any of the older boys try to do that he gets offended. He also very gentle with them.
He is almost always in the company of a little one.

I haven't tried him with babies. I've got two of Melissa's boys here, they are almost 2 months old but I'm just way to scared to try, especially after having lost Sheep just from the boys playing hard.

Sounds like my Neo. He starts wars just by walking by other rats, so now he is a solo rat. It's frustrating as all heck when they don't want to co-habitate.

So... decided to be brave tonight and did an intro with the young crew: Sophie 10m, Candé 10m, Nessie 6m, Isabelle 15m, Sebastien 9m, Jorge, Rylee, Davis 5m and Captain 3m... with the teeny tinies, Treat, Boo 2m and the infamous Radar.

I set up a huge enclosure, used the babies' blanket and added a couple of hideouts and lots of Cheerios.
All went well during the Cheerio fest. Radar was very agitated and somewhat nervous. It's clear that even though Sebastien is neutered, he's the alpha cause he's the one that Radar was most worried about. He ran about nervously, wanting to check out the other rat, yet not knowing what to do. After 30 minutes, he and Sebbie got into a small scuffle, Radar was so insulted and upset, I decided he was done with the intro.
Meanwhile, the teeny tinies had a great time with the other guys. As soon as Treat and Boo are a little bigger, they will join the other guys in the double FN. If I can ever get Radar to accept the others, he too will join them in the FN, but I'll be making it into a triple FN. Bigger cage is always better. :wink:

On with the pics:

In the enclosure:

Radarintro2.jpg

Radarintro1.jpg

Radar and Nessie: (someone needs to tell Nessie that she's just an itty biddy little girl. :roll: )

Radarintro5.jpg

Radar in the middle:

Radarintro3.jpg

Lots of sniffing:

Radarintro4.jpg

Treat and Sophie:

TreatandSophie.jpg

Radar:

Radarintro6.jpg

Nessie peeking out of the cubicus:

Nessiecubicus.jpg

Well, it sounds to me like it was semi-successful.. and that's great! A small scuffle is better than a big scuffle.

I'm starting to think Radar is just a drama-queen (or king, LOL)

Unfortunately the second intro didn't go good.
Sebastien went after Radar and cut him up pretty good. :(
I'm stopping intros for now, may try again in a month. :darn:

Aww, that sucks! I wonder why Sebastion went after him? Maybe Radar had sooo much testosterone, that now neutered his hormone level went down to that of a normal buck! Just kidding, but Radar is awfully manly! :lol:

Back