Rabbit food

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you choose to feed pellets (they're not necessary if your rabbit gets plenty of hay and veggies), Oxbow is the way to go.

We just buy a big bag of generic rabbit pellets for Buddy from the feed store. It's a 25lb bag for $10 and lasts us 2+ months.
Rabbits don't /need/ the pellets, as long as they are always provided with fresh hay.
We feed our boy hay and vegetables mostly, as well as keep a bowl of pellets available for him in his cage in case he wants to snack.

A 10 b bag of Oxbow used to last my two rabbits almost 3 months when I fed pellets. You're only supposed to feed adult rabbits 1/8 cup of pellets each per day, otherwise you run the risk of serious health issues (obesity, bladder stones, dental issues) as they get older.

We do feed our rabbits lots of hay and SOME pellets but we need to put a little weight on her. She just had her teeth trimmed today at the vets and she is a little thin.

Sometimes rabbits with dental issues have trouble getting enough to eat. A lot of people supplement their diet with Critical Care, which is a bit more energy dense than pellets and easier to eat. If you want to try increasing her pellets, the Oxbow Natural Science line is a bit richer than the Essentials one. Just make sure she has no bladder issues first.

You could feed alfalfa hay & pellets to get her weight up depending on her kidneys, etc. best to ask the vet first.

I have a disabled girl who has back issues from a birth defect which gets worse with age. She is 61/2 years old and she is currently on alfalfa hay and unlimited alfalfa pellets to get her weight up. She also eats organic pumpkin once a day with a pinch of flax seed a few times a week (the pumpkin keeps her belly running smoothly with the increased food intake and lack of movement)

She has been in this diet for quiet sometime now, with no issues & she is gaining the weight she needs.

We feed oxbow hay, and Martin mills rabbit food (as she won't eat oxbow)

She also gets fresh veggies every night and 2 teaspoons of rolled oats a day (a small amount of dolled oats is okay for them as it helps the belly - oat groats is even better if you can find it - we can't find it here)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the responses. When we came home last night Pancakes had gone to Rainbow Bridge. We have a second bunny which is older than Pancakes so we will use the info for her. We will be doing a autopsy to see what she died of.

Ann

Thanks Jo. About 6 months Pancakes started to be a very lovable rabbit. She would follow you around at your heels. We figured it was because she was getting older.It was like a puppy becoming a dog. Lots of energy. Loved to play "catch me if you can" game. She became calmer and loved to be picked up. I will be keeping a close eye on our other rabbit all though they weren't bonded too much.

Ann

Back