Quinn (summer of 2016 - December 17 2018

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Quinn (summer 2016 - December 17 2018)
Quinn was rescued as a terrified young boy, along with the first litter he had fathered.
Quinn was terrified of people and of other rats but he gradually lost his fear and tolerated both.
Quinn was a wonderful curious outgoing boy who loved his independence.
As he aged, Quinn became friendlier and more loving.

Quinn had not been feeling well for awhile but the vet was unable to find a cause.

Around midnight I noticed Quinn kept jerking his head, seemed unable to use his back legs, and was not interested in his favorite food. Quinn's condition gradually worsened over several hours as he started having difficulty breathing and was drooling. Meds did not help and his left side seemed weaker as he started leaning in that direction.
Early this morning the tech for the Fredericton vet clinic refused to contact the vet on call to put Quinn to sleep as they had not seen Quinn before
I called the emergency vet on call for the group my vet belongs to so that Quinn could be humanely put to sleep. It took 30 - 40 minutes for my call to be returned after I spoke to the answering service. The vet on call (Douglas Animal hospital) sounded tired on the phone, refused to see Quinn, and told me to contact my vet when they opened in the morning

pictures below were taken early this morning when Quinn was ill

December 17 2018 Quinn on my bed ill.jpg

December 17 2018 Quinn on my bed unable to roll over close up.jpg

December 17 2018 Quinnis dying.jpg

December 17 2018 Quinnis in cage dying.jpg

I laid down as I was so tired and when I got up to check on Quinn he was dead.
Quinn died early this morning, alone, frightened, in pain, struggling to breath.
I am so very sorry Quinn

Quinn will be missed by his elderly cagemate Scotty, by his children, and by me

(Quinn was the father of Shadow, Linda, Carly, Deborah, Ariel, Cubbie, Trail, Parker, Ricky, Cross, Logan and Nic)

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss and so sorry that the vets gave you such a hard time. please don't beat yourself up about this, you did all that you humanly could, it's not like you could have done the euthanasia yourself and without a cooperating vet, your hands were tied

I, too, have cared for a sick rat and falled asleep only to awaken to them being gone, it feels awful, I know. But you have to sleep. you were there for Quinn as much as you possibly could have been, I am sure he felt loved and doesn't hold it against you that you couldn't be there at the very moment of his passing.

RIP Quinn.

RIP Quinn ..... I'm sure his cagemate gave him comfort and helped him pass in peace....

I hope some where you can file a complaint on your crappy vet!

Back