Question!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NachoQTPie

So, we currently have Charlie and Roddy in a 10g aquarium. Not ideal, I know! So, the son and I were talking last night about building our OWN cage. We have rabbits, so we could use 14g wire for the sides, and we also have some untreated plywood that we could use to make levels, get some cheap vinyl flooring and cover it so they couldn't chew on it, build them some levels, get a few toys, a litter box, etc...

What do you guys think? Worth it? (We already have most of those, and he has to provide all the funding for his rats, so it's going to take him a WHILE to save up enough to buy a bigger more suitable cage for them (that was part of the deal with him getting the rats since my husband was ABSOLUTELY against getting them, he had to use his own money and we cannot help him)

It's worth saving up for a proper cage. They will chew through the flooring. They will probably chew through the plywood.

Depending on your location, there may be nearby members who could help you out with a spare cage for a reasonable price. It's cheaper than buying a Critter Nation, and will already have been rat-tested.

I hate to sound callous, but why wasn't an adequate cage purchased *before* getting the rats? If a proper enclosure is too expensive at the start, saving up for one and then getting the rats would probably have been a wiser way to go. Is your son prepared to pay for vet care, or will you relent and help him out when $200+ vet bills come up? Rats are small, but like any pet, they're not cheap.

If you're willing to share your general location, one of us may be able to give you a hand on the cage front. How old are the rats? We'd need to make sure the spacing of cage bars isn't too wide, otherwise they can squeeze out.

People have frequently found that making a cage or buying an inadequate cage is a waste of money as they soon need to buy a proper cage.
Wood absorbs urine as well.

I would strongly suggest that you get a good cage such as a critter nation (petsmart sells one under a different name that is less expensive), a martins R695 powder coated with flip top lid (martinscages.com), or for large rats - a 40 inch long rabbit cage with two added home made levels.

Sometimes you can get cages on sale or in decent condition second hand.

Tanks are not good for rats due to the poor air quality, build up of ammonia (causing permanent lung damage - thus frequent illness and increased need for meds and vet visits, and shortened life), size, lack of hammocks etc so hopefully you will get a good cage soon

Last edited:
I just reread your post, rat owners need to have a credit card for vet expenses or at least a min of $400 in a bank account which they continuously replenish for vet bills and medication ..... Rats become ill and die very fast without immediate medical care from a good vet experienced in treating rats and prescription medication, or even surgery.

If he doesn't have a part time job, your son will need to get one asap if you are not going to help him with expenses .... as you are aware, having pets is a huge responsibility and unfortunately it is not inexpensive :(

I have a homemade cage (and I've had a couple over the years) The one I have now is made from a dog crate (covered with 1/2" square chicken wire) and I like that one ok as it's all metal and plastic so easy cleaning. Covering the dog crate with the wire was a pretty painful, aggravating job that took me most of a weekend but it is cheaper than a critter nation. Anything I have made with wood I have disliked due to the wood holding the smells although, if you seal the wood and stay very on top of cleaning it is doable.

Rat pee on wood has got to be the worse odor ever. I would definitely not use wood for the cage.
Also... rats can get very expensive with vet needs. It is extremely unfair to take on the responsibility of a life and refusing to care for it medically. I hope your husband comes around to that thinking. Animals/pets are part of the family and the whole family should be involved either in it's care or financially. Your son will learn greatly from your compassion.

Rat pee on wood has got to be the worse odor ever. I would definitely not use wood for the cage.
Also... rats can get very expensive with vet needs. It is extremely unfair to take on the responsibility of a life and refusing to care for it medically. I hope your husband comes around to that thinking. Animals/pets are part of the family and the whole family should be involved either in it's care or financially. Your son will learn greatly from your compassion.

plus pets are always the responsibility of the parents, although children/teens may be responsible for care etc, the parents are always ultimately responsible to ensure that all pets are well cared for

Back