Question regarding introducing 4 litter mates to another 4

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homework

I have 8 female rats. Both of the packs are litter mates. I recently have been introducing them in a confined neutral area (a play pen) where I sat in and watched them.

They did really well instantly. No fights just little squeaks from grooming obviously. I went to move some stuff to the one big cage and came back and noticed they actually 6 out of 8 fell asleep all together.

They're now all living in the same cage however I'm wondering if that's okay. As I said they're equal numbers. Plus the people I got the other 4 from mentioned they're used to other litters because they had more before. Same with my 4.

Do you think it should be okay from here? I notice that all they do in the cage is really just groom each other. I read that's them trying to show who's boss. But my 4 rats did that already to each other.

Update 2: so far they've been in the same cage for for hour. There's occasional few squeaks every now and then and the rare screech. Eventually it stops though. Sometimes one or the other puffs up but it isn't permanent.

Is this normal for a few days?

Back