question about rats nursing and weaning

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geriols

Hello all - I have been patiently waiting for weeks, to adopt a companion for my girl Luna. Our local Humane Society ended up with a plastic bin of rats that someone dropped off on the side of a road... fortunately they are healthy. They were quarantined for a period and then a few weeks ago, the males were released for adoption. They held out on the females due to pregnancy concerns... with good reason - they have many babies now. My question... how long will those mamas have to nurse the babies before the young can be on their own and the mamas would be available for adoption? Will having babies and being separated from them be any cause for concern regarding the rat I adopt? If I follow the recommended procedure for introducing the rats to one another, would there be any issues because the new female has had babies? Anything I should be thinking about?
Thanks for your input...

Boys are separated from their mama at 5 weeks. Baby girls stay with mom until at least 6 weeks.
No there are no concerns re adoption and intros
Please see the Reference Thread for info on introing rats

of course in a perfect world mamas would be able to live out their lives with their families (spayed and neutered of course)

Back