Question about cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

Back when I got my coast cage, I looked at the calculator and it comes up with 3 rats if the space is utilized.

BUT there are 5 levels including the bottom pan in this cage. I can see if it had no levels and it was just really tall. Do the levels make any difference? I mean it LOOKS like it could fit 4 or 5. But I wanted to know.

They do make a difference to a point. It's more running space vs climbing space. There's a UK cage calculator that takes floors and shelves into account. I've found it actually says less rats can fit into a cage than the US calculator I use.

http://health.ratzrus.co.uk/cagecalc/

Which is why those of us who have succumbed to the Eebil GGMR tell everyone to get the absolute biggest cage they can afford. It will get filled, no matter what you may try. You can fight against it, but it will happen..

I usually take both numbers into account and do what I think would actually work. According to the common US calculator, I can fit 8 rats in my cage. According to the UK, it's 6 max. Seeing my 3 girls in there now, I feel comfortable being able to put atleast 7 in there.

The GGMR thing is harder when you have a cage that can fit more! An FN for two girls? Dangerous territory. :lol:

The thing is, the Coast cages seem quite tall but not very wide/deep.. and shelves are tiny.. so not so much running space. Just from what I've seen of them, I would stick with 3. But I guess it can depend on other things, too... their activity levels, personalities, size, etc. Also, I've never seen a coast cage in person. So do keep that in mind.

I think, to be on the safe side, it's best to have less in a cage. I keep wanting to buy a larger cage, but I know I will want to fill it just as fast... which I think right now is not a good idea for me (but could be an option in the future).. so I'm not upgrading their cage, no matter how hard I want to.

In my mind I now I should just really stick with three. Our girls are really happy. But you always see others and wonder how more would be with them.

Back