Pyoderma?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket99

Recurring bacterial infection (presumably) which originates as tiny spots erupting in the general area of his lower back, rump area, extending from his neck (few sparse spots) down to the base of his tail (increasing amounts with a mostly unaffected space between his lower back and the tail area, where it starts again in a concentrated little area. Once I see it erupting, I immediately apply bacitracin sparingly 1x daily. It will continue to develop, eventually (about a week's time), spread, and worsen in intensity so that I can comb out the loose scabs and apply bacitracin more generously. If I don't comb out the heavy, built up scabs, he will try to scratch them off, compounding the problem by breaking the skin in unaffected areas with his dirty nails, which then causes the infection to spread. As I comb his back, the bigger or more loose scabs come off, allowing the lesions to weep. He never bleeds, only weeps clear fluid from those open lesions, which I cover with bacitracin. Also, his fur comes off around the removed scabs, giving him his patchwork look. After a week or so, the scabs stop growing in size, and the leasions stop weeping (mostly), and the infection stops spreading. I then stop combing his scabs but continue administering the antibiotic, sparingly again. It takes another week or so before the infection subsides and I can stop putting bacitracin in the remains worst lesions. He then remains scab/eruption free for about 2 weeks before I notice the tiny pimple-like spots erupting again. It seems like this condition comes from "within" his skin, like it lays dormant until it reaches a certain degree in a cycle. Or...it may "awaken" after some degree of scratching from itching (possibly from the dormant infection itself?) In any case, I have also tried oral sntiantibio, but they didn't seem to help, although I don't truly know, to be honest. Originally, this infection(?) seemed to occur parallel to a possible mite infestation, which I treayed twice because the first time that the infection reappeared, I assumed it was mites that I somehow didn't eradicate. But the third eruption was the awakening, I knew it wasn't mites. I have never had any problem treating for mites. Below is a few photos of his condition about halfway through the "cycle?" Any advice or recommendations are extremely encouraged, TYIA.
Ok, so no pics yet, it said too large for the server. Need a bigger server guys, lol. I will post this and try to reduce the size and post them later. Gotta go to work.

Mike and Hazel

Pic #1 Hazel

Attachments

• IMG_20190803_093059.jpg
    IMG_20190803_093059.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 175
Ok these are small lesions but in the 2nd pic it looked like pyoderma to me. I'm going to post pics of Faith showing her when she arrived and after starting treatment. She was on baytril and high doses of Metacam. Once the skin healed and began to dry and pull I started ointments. I actually used Children's Polysporin.

When Faith arrived

Faithowowowow2jul12.jpg

Her main back lesion

Faithspyoonbackclosejul13.jpg

2 days later it doesn't look quite as angry

Faithsbackdoesntlookasangryjul15.jpg

4 more days

faithsbackjul19.jpg

9 more days and you can see the cooler pink (bacterial infection is being beaten)
Faithsbackjul28.jpg

Wow,vin her 1st pic I can see green spots where I assume a couple abscesses were on her shoulder. That is so terribly painful just to look at. I think you rescued her just in time.

She had contracted mites with an uncaring owner. She was untreated for a long time. Her cagemates died and they decided to put ointments on her skin and it just kept getting worse. A friend heard about her and brought her to me. She was a very very severe case, but the lesions often look similar, angry orangish pink when infected. Weeping and moist.

Back