The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Maddie Paulus

Hey everyone. A few weeks ago I noticed one of my rats, Niles, was falling over every now and then while grooming. At first I thought it was funny/cute, and that he was just getting old. In the following weeks, he began sleeping more and then about a week ago I noticed he was not holding his food with his hands. He sort of pushed it around on the ground while trying to take nibbles of it. Since then, I've been feeding him soft foods like cream of wheat, avocado, ensure smoothies, and really anything else I can get him to eat. He is shaking his head a lot, bruxing more than usual although not excessively, and it does seem he can't reach all of his head to groom with his front arms. He's also having trouble scratching his head/chin area with his hind legs. Most of this seems like a PT to me, but I have to wonder because he walks just fine, and when he eats he only licks or takes the tiniest nibbles-- he can't/won't eat anything more solid than eggs. His breath has smelled bad for some time, and I was wondering if there was some chance that he had a mouth abscess going on that was causing the stiffness and avoidance of eating hard foods. He has a healthy brother and I'm also worried about what to do if Niles worsens and has to be PTS. Please fill me in on any advice! I've only had one rat before, and have no experience with PT or mouth abscesses.

I would get his teeth and mouth checked out immediately in case there is an infection - mouth and facial infections are very dangerous.
Are his teeth overgrown? Grown into the side of his mouth etc?

How old is he?
Can he hold food in his front paws and eat it? - try handing him a cheerio, kumut puff, etc
Can you post a video on youtube and post the link on here?

Soak his blocks in cool water to make mush for him to eat
You can also feed him organic soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal.
Both this and the block mush will have the nutrition he needs
You can also feed him baby food, cooked and mashed sweet potato, cooked oatmeal, cooked quinea, greens, cooked peas etc

Back