PT: meloxicam and doxycycline

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Could a low dose of meloxicam reduce the swelling in the brain caused by a pituitary tumor in the early stages? And by doing this make it harder to find out that a PT is to be suspected?

And if increased intracranial pressure is already an issue, would doxycycline exacerbate this even further?

No. Meloxicam does very little with PT...a mistake seen often with some vets. Steroids are the only medication truly effective as an anti-inflammatory for PT. Doxy has a slight anti-inflammatory effect but not enough.

So even in the early stages it would not be able to suppress brain swelling caused by the pituitary tumor? Because my local vet prescribed 0.1 ml SID of meloxicam 1,5 mg/ml and I fear that it could have masked the signs of the pituitary tumor. By reducing pain and/or slightly reducing brain swelling.

I found this local vet on a list with supposedly vets knowledgeable about rats, but I wish that I had never found that list.

And I have read that doxycycline in some cases increases the intracranial pressure in humans. But now I wonder what would happen if the intracranial pressure is already increased by a pituitary tumor.

The dexamethasone did not help at all, so I thought that the meloxicam might have slightly reduced the brain swelling and that is why the dexamethasone did not help anymore because the tumor was already occupying too much space. And the doxycycline on top of that.

https://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/tetracyclines/doxycycline.php
I am sorry for asking so many questions.

Back