Problem after neuter.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KirstyLauren

So a week ago I had my male Rat, Benson neutered because I noticed a swelling in one of his testicles, which turned out to be a tumorous growth on one of them. The operation went well he recovered fine but two days ago I noticed his testicles (or where they use to be) had swollen up as though he still actually had them. I took him back to the Vet today, who didn't really know what was going on, but she did say she didn't think it was an abscess or just swelling. She's given me antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicine but I'm incredibly worried that it is something very serious. It's very swollen looking but not sore, it's not rock hard but not super squishy either though towards the end of it, it feels kind of hard. He's still active, eating and drinking, it doesn't seem to bother him but it sure is bothering me.

Anyone experienced this? He's going back Tuesday and if it hasn't gone down then he'll have to go under again, which worried me because he's not a very young Rat.

I got my boys neutered in February, my boy Galaxy had post opp abscess also, antibiotics cleared it up quite quickly.
I'm not too experienced about lumps and weather or not they can reoccur after castration or not hopefully some one with more knowledge can help there.
Here's hoping it's just an abscess sending healing vibes.

Hmm, sometimes an "inguinal hernia" can happen post-neuter - basically, the testicle canal thingie didn't get closed off properly (or the rat busted it back open) and fat dropped in it.

Or in my unlucky experience, the vet left part of a testicle behind. Its only happened to me and one other person here though - you have to have a ridiculously incompetent vet for that to happen.

rhapsody said:
Hmm, sometimes an "inguinal hernia" can happen post-neuter - basically, the testicle canal thingie didn't get closed off properly (or the rat busted it back open) and fat dropped in it.

Or in my unlucky experience, the vet left part of a testicle behind. Its only happened to me and one other person here though - you have to have a ridiculously incompetent vet for that to happen.

That is freaking terrifying. You did not have any oops litters, right? Oh man, nightmare status. :shock: :panic:

KirstyLauren said:
So a week ago I had my male Rat, Benson neutered because I noticed a swelling in one of his testicles, which turned out to be a tumorous growth on one of them. The operation went well he recovered fine but two days ago I noticed his testicles (or where they use to be) had swollen up as though he still actually had them. I took him back to the Vet today, who didn't really know what was going on, but she did say she didn't think it was an abscess or just swelling. She's given me antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicine but I'm incredibly worried that it is something very serious. It's very swollen looking but not sore, it's not rock hard but not super squishy either though towards the end of it, it feels kind of hard. He's still active, eating and drinking, it doesn't seem to bother him but it sure is bothering me.

Anyone experienced this? He's going back Tuesday and if it hasn't gone down then he'll have to go under again, which worried me because he's not a very young Rat.

So the testes were shrinking over the week post-surgery THEN swelled back up? Or they always stayed swollen?

Geez, glad my vet gives me the testicles after she removes them (she know's I'd like to keep them and anything else from surgeries) so I know I can be sure she removed it all. Scary!

Back