Priss Passed n 8-7-2017

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TheTabbyKing

This is Priss. She was a rescue from petco so i'm not sure how old she is, but when I got her my friend [who is a huge rat lover] said she looked rather young. I say she's a rescue, because the petco and petsmart in my area, don't care for the animals. She was all alone in a cage with cold air blowing directly on her, had patches of hair missing all over her body, and had almost no hair on her fur. When I took her to a local breeder to be checked [didn't have the money for a vet, and she had been given to us basically for free from one of the workers who didn't like how she was looking] she was very very underweight. Luckily, after about 3 weeks, her fur was starting to grow back, and she was gaining weight properly. She's my only baby so far, only because I haven't been able to get a bigger cage for her. She's typically spunky and happy and loves to run around and even hide in your hair.

Priss started acting weird around 6 am on 8-7-17, so we called around to different vet clinics. Noone could see us till about 3 pm. We rushed her to a vet and they said it looked like pneumonia, and they gave us some medication and sent us on our way. We got home around 5:30 pm and I sat her in my lap to get her medication drawn up, and crush up her food like the doctor had told me to do, and next thing I knew, she was choking and gasping for air. I rushed to the bathroom and turned on the shower on ht water but it was too late, my sweet baby had passed in my arms. The long tailed love of my life gained her wings today, and I only hope she knows how much I love her and how much she means to me. She was my very first rat, and I hope to have more.

The vet said that it came on so fast, that the medication wouldn't have gotten into her system quick enough to save her. She was going to die today, one way or another, but being held and loved on by everyone on her final day, meant she hopefully knew how loved she was. Especially since she clung to me the entire day. She knew where her safe spot was, and where she wanted to die, which was in her mommy's arms, full of love, and happiness. I couldn't have asked for a better rat as my first, and I don't regret saving her from petco.

image-215.jpg

16831863-10210444031930512-2894170270197779259-n.jpg

16832180-10210444031890511-2604977341219942464-n.jpg

17626660-10210809272261292-8849610028055640070-n.jpg

So sorry for your loss =( which one was Priss? I see three different ratties here. Its s9 hard when they pass and, with their short lives, it is always too soon. But she got to be loved and that is pretty huge for smart, social, misunderstood animals like our rats <3

I am so very sorry for your loss.
She looks like a wonderful little girl

(Is this an old thread? The date on the top is more then a year old. If it is, then I am so sorry that I did not see it earlier and respond then)

{{hugs}}

Last edited:
I'm very sorry you had to go through that. But I bet she had a wonderful, happy life. I never had a rat die on me, and I can't imagine how that might feel. I hope you recover soon.

Back