Preventing respiratory diseases

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caitlin

Hi guys it’s me again hahah back with my paranoia over my boys as always. As mentioned in my previous post i have 4 rats (1 solitary 3 year old & 3 babies) and the elderly one, James, has respiratory problems. James’ brother William also died of a respiratory disease so I’d like to do anything I can to prevent my babies from getting it. Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent respiratory problems? Also, is it dangerous to have a dehumidifier in the same room as them but not pointing at them? I know dry air can be tough on their breathing.

Hi guys it’s me again hahah back with my paranoia over my boys as always. As mentioned in my previous post i have 4 rats (1 solitary 3 year old & 3 babies) and the elderly one, James, has respiratory problems. James’ brother William also died of a respiratory disease so I’d like to do anything I can to prevent my babies from getting it. Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent respiratory problems? Also, is it dangerous to have a dehumidifier in the same room as them but not pointing at them? I know dry air can be tough on their breathing.
No dehumidifiers. The air has to be as moist as possible. That's the first step to preventing. Second, no ammonia buildup at ALL. Bedding should be changed daily. Fleece or paper towel, paper bedding is best.

Thanks for the reply. I had a dehumidifier cause of a patch of mould on the wall I’d washed off but I won’t use it again. They have a dust free cat litter bedding so it might not be possible for me to change it every day but I change it often :) thanks for the tip

Back