Preputial Gland Infection

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket99

Hi,

Sadly, after a vet debt of over $1500 and 5 cleanouts of his abscess and a million antiseptic flushes at home, he once again made it about a month before he needed another clean-out. But I had noticed that this time he was in more pain than the usual gingerly waddle-walk sign that his abscess was hurting him too much. I had an appointment set to include both of his expert vet's, and they were going to reassess and call me with their report so I could make a decision of whether to clean it out again or just put a stop to the madness. As I suspected, they told me that if he was in more pain than usual, and wasn't eating (he had been on an Ensure, whipped cream, and shelled peas diet for a few weeks by this time) and did not have much quality of life, then maybe it was time. He was obviously not going to ever recover, and he was almost 3 years old, but an otherwise healthy, very strong 3, notwithstanding his minor weight loss. So, they would not say what they thought I should do, of course, but did say that if he were their rat, and he was in significant pain and not eating, then they would do what I was avoiding. So I stopped trying to save him or prolong his existence and humanely let him go, no more pain, and he could enjoy his new home over the bridge.
RIP Gollum...1/16/20. He was a great one. Built like a tank, and he knew it. So strong, so beautiful, so unique. I will forever miss him, and I think of him nearly every day. Now I am preparing myself for the forthcoming loss of my beloved Swag, who has severe HLD, but is otherwise healthy. He had been at 0% rear legs functionality for the last few months, but still loves to chase his GF around the bed (soft surfaces are now necessary) and drag himself into my offered palm to tell me he wants something. He about a month or 2 older than Gollum was, so he's definitely a senior citizen, but his extremely low male hormone levels have made him a great candidate to live much longer than the average age limit of male pet rats. I will probably post anything noteworthy or if I have any questions. But I expect him to pass suddenly in his sleep during the night. Or at least that's my hope. TY for your concerns. I will always love Gollum when I think of him.

Michael Perry

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Those abscesses are really stubborn and so painful. For my own guys, the stop eating is what helps me make that very hard decision.

Back