Preputial Abscess Ruptured?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoupChef

Hi!

I feel like the WORST owner for this but today when I was taking Stew out of the cage he shares with his brother Chili, I felt a hard spot on his abdomen that I immediately inspected. Just to the side of his penis, he had a scab-combined-with-a-cavity like wound that made me IMMEDIATELY burst into tears and then call my vet tech trained mom. We're fairly confident he has a preputial abscess that must have ruptured of its own accord and perhaps is healing rather messily, but my vet can't get him in until NEXT Wednesday (Apr 21!). I gave it a long, hot compress this evening to help clear away any debris and give me a better look at it - pictures attached of what it looked like most of the way through the soak. He's still eating and drinking BUT he was a little lethargic and had the classic unwell rat sign of his ears not being as hot and pink as usuall without a lot of warm cuddles to get him there. For now the best I can think to do for him is to change the cage blankets daily as well as a daily hot compress, but I have a few things I'm wondering about.

Most of what I've found on the internet about these abscesses is about how to lance them (hot compress, hope it comes to a head, have lots of towels on hand), but none really talk about what to do if you find it and it's already a gaping, dirty wound! Advice for how to support him with this would be much appreciated. Specifically,
1. His wound is a pink flesh cavern with what seems like a necrotic tissue pocket within it - grey tissue (I believe this colour is in part dead tissue and in part because they were on Yesterdays News litter for 2 days while prospective tenants toured my apartment, so paper dust in the wound) that has what appears to be a pus-sac within it (that's just my best guess, but I see yellow as well). SO since so many of these instructionals talk about soaking and then lifting the scab, should I be attempted to soften the grey tissue and then use tweezers to gently loosen it? I am SO hesitant to poke around in his wound that I would love for someone with experience to tell me what's right, there!
2. Should I be using any kind of product to support his healing right now? In the past when any of my rats have gotten into scuffles that resulted in deep wounds I've used antibiotic ointments like Polysporin to help healing along, but I know with abscesses the last thing you want is for the skin to heal and seal the infected pocket in....cream or no cream?

And just any other advice would be so appreciated! He's an amazingly good natured little guy who is too sweet to give me any indications of pain and I feel just awful that I didn't notice the bump the abscess likely represented before its rupture!

Sorry the pictures are rough - as you all know I'm sure, one-handed rat immobilization is tough :p The dry photo naturally is pre-soak and the one where the wound appears more open and his fur is wet is mid-soak. The happy stew picture is just because I'd hate for you to only see him as an abscess!

Attachments

• IMG_0493.PNG
    IMG_0493.PNG
    289.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_6852.jpg
    IMG_6852.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0496.PNG
    IMG_0496.PNG
    243.6 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 194
Update! It seems like all my soaking and softening of the scab helped encourage him to clean it too, because this morning all the necrotic tissue is gone. There was some pus present pre-soak, but after soaking and irrigating with some saline it appears clean, although it's hard to get a good look inside as he's feeling much more lively this morning (which is a relief, honestly!)

Still SUPER eager for any advice or just a "you're doing this mostly ok" because I HATE seeing a hole in my boy :(

Attachments

• IMG_0501.PNG
    IMG_0501.PNG
    243.2 KB · Views: 177
I'd say you're doing a pretty good job.! A daily saline rinse(salt and water ONLY) will help keep it clean and premote healing from the inside out. My boy had an abscess in the same spot, keeping it clean and rinsed he healed within a week. Rats heal very very fast and the 'necrotic' tissue was probably just the leftover puss sack (gross right.? Joys of owning rats 😅)

Just keep a watch on him and he should heal up well. Rats are prone to abscess and it can be a scare the first time you find one.!

I'd say you're doing a pretty good job.! A daily saline rinse(salt and water ONLY) will help keep it clean and premote healing from the inside out. My boy had an abscess in the same spot, keeping it clean and rinsed he healed within a week. Rats heal very very fast and the 'necrotic' tissue was probably just the leftover puss sack (gross right.? Joys of owning rats 😅)

Just keep a watch on him and he should heal up well. Rats are prone to abscess and it can be a scare the first time you find one.!

Thank you so much!! It is definitely gross, and by his behaviour it seems like it LOOKS more painful than it is. If it IS healed by the time of his vet appointment next Wednesday, do you think I should still take him? I'm worried about the risk of it healing kind of outside-in and meaning that he just has a new abscess

Thank you so much!! It is definitely gross, and by his behaviour it seems like it LOOKS more painful than it is. If it IS healed by the time of his vet appointment next Wednesday, do you think I should still take him? I'm worried about the risk of it healing kind of outside-in and meaning that he just has a new abscess
With the healing process you should be able to see inside the wound and watch it heal closer to the surface each day. If it's healed up I wouldn't bring him, two out of the three abscesses I've dealt with were strictly at home(the first I found a bump and panicked so I brought her in) and all of them healed beautifully. If he heals and an abscess reappears then I would take him to make sure there isn't something else going on but for the most part rats heal up quick and clean, though there may be a small scar.!

Two of my boys have had smallish preputial gland abscesses within the past few months. I kept them clean and they healed quickly. Depending on how things are looking over the course of the next several days, a vet may not be needed but certainly couldn't hurt.

Back