Pregnant rats !!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jessica22590

hello everyone, I currently have 3 out of 4 female rats accidentally impregnated. I have 3 boys in the bottom of a critter nation that I have been trying to find a home for. And 4 females on the top. There’s an entrance to the top for a ramp that didn’t come with a cover. So I just kept the black litter tray on top of it. And they never got through for months. My females are big chewers and happened to have chewed somewhat near the whole. And got through to the boys. I was out of town when this happened and my care taker didn’t notice the girls were with the boys. So now I have 3 females that are for sure pregnant. And one of them doesn’t seem to be, but I have no clue she might be early stage. The point is I had no intentions of breeding my rats and honestly have no clue how to take care of pregnant rats. I also cannot find any homes at all. Most people where I live aren’t interested in keeping rats. And I don’t want to give the babies to anyone to be snake food. I live in woodbridge, Virginia. If anyone knows any rescues that will take rats from locals or anyone who wants any rats please let me know !! And if anyone has any tips I would greatly appreciate it.

Well you may need to get those boys snipped so this doesn't happen again.. As for the rest you will need other cages single story for the mothers..

Contact Mainely Rat Rescue and ask for help asap !!
They may not cover your area but perhaps will help anyway or refer you to a rescue that can

Some people in your situation will get the girls spayed (ie terminate the pregnancy) if they are not far along and if they have access to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to safely spay rats. Other people will let them have the babies with the knowledge that they may be responsible for every single baby for the remainder of their lives,

Average litter size is 12 - 14 babies but litter size can range from 2 to 26 babies.
Each girl will need to be in a separate one level cage with small bar spacing, and nothing in the cage that is high or contains threads (can wind around little necks and limbs). Strips of paper towel make good nesting material.
Please see the Reference thread for info on pregnancy, babies etc https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Although things usually go ok, and rats are usually wonderful mothers, make sure you have access to a good vet in case of labour emergencies as rats sometimes need a C-section or emergency surgery to save their lives.

Please post pictures showing their bellies
and please keep us informed as several of us have experience with this, having rescued rats that were pregnant

Thank you so much !! That made me feel a little more secure. I know I can learn to care for the babies I’m only worried about where they’re going to go. Two of my girls just gave birth last night. I have one in a large size cardboard box with fleece, toilet paper, food bowl, water, and a hide. The other mother is in a 10 gallon tank with the same things. All the babies seem to be healthy and have a milk band. The mothers aren’t agressive towards me. They let me handle and move the babies to the other enclosures. Rat neutering and spaying here in Virginia ranges from 300-480 dollars for each rat. I have been trying to revoke my 3 boys since before they had broke into the girls area because I simply can’t afford the neutering. And these 3 boys I was told were girls when babies, but a week or two later I could feel the testis. But I will contact mainley rats !! Thank you so so much

Thank you so much !! That made me feel a little more secure. I know I can learn to care for the babies I’m only worried about where they’re going to go. Two of my girls just gave birth last night. I have one in a large size cardboard box with fleece, toilet paper, food bowl, water, and a hide. The other mother is in a 10 gallon tank with the same things. All the babies seem to be healthy and have a milk band. The mothers aren’t agressive towards me. They let me handle and move the babies to the other enclosures. Rat neutering and spaying here in Virginia ranges from 300-480 dollars for each rat. I have been trying to revoke my 3 boys since before they had broke into the girls area because I simply can’t afford the neutering. And these 3 boys I was told were girls when babies, but a week or two later I could feel the testis. But I will contact mainley rats !! Thank you so so much
Ahh babies are so exiting ! I'm glad they are all doing well but watch the mother on the box.. She can chew through that..

Okay I will make sure I keep an eye out. And yes it’s exciting but at the same time so scary haha I just want the best homes for them :/ so if anyone that sees this would want any new babies !! If you live in surrounding states of Virginia or would like to meet halfway somewhere just let me know !! I can upload pics of the babies as soon as they get their fur.

Hi again !! So two out of 3 that are pregnant have given birth right. So the one that hasn’t her stomach is hugeee and nipples are visible and since they just gave birth I’m assuming she is going to soon as well. I moved her into a 10 gal with aspen base and fleece and toilet paper. The only problem is I have 1 more female. She’s the only one that I believe isn’t pregnant. I believe the 3 boys focused more on the 3 girls and not her. But now she’s the only one on the top of the cage. Will she be okay being by herself ??

Hi again !! So two out of 3 that are pregnant have given birth right. So the one that hasn’t her stomach is hugeee and nipples are visible and since they just gave birth I’m assuming she is going to soon as well. I moved her into a 10 gal with aspen base and fleece and toilet paper. The only problem is I have 1 more female. She’s the only one that I believe isn’t pregnant. I believe the 3 boys focused more on the 3 girls and not her. But now she’s the only one on the top of the cage. Will she be okay being by herself ??
Aspen isn't a good idea as it can cause repertory problems The other girl should be okay as long as you handle her and spend a lot of time with her so she doesn't get lonely.

aspen is fine as long as it is not dusty and does not have small particles as it is a hardwood

use paper towel not toilet paper ….. wet toilet paper will stick to the babies :(

Thank you guys so much !! I’m feeling a lot more secure and confident with the help from you guys.

Back