Pregnant rat using nesting material as litter box?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RattyGrammy

I have a pregnant rat who is about to pop. I keep giving her torn up strips of paper towel for nesting material, and she just pees on it.
Should I keep switching it out for fresh/clean?
Also she has no interest in creating a nest - should I worry about this? She's so pregnant I can see her belly moving.

Tia!

If you are seeing a quickening of the movement of the fetuses then she'll be due within 12-36 hrs usually. Put a whole pile of paper towel sheets in there and see if she wants to rip them up herself...you could also try fleece strips as well. She may only nest just before or after the birth.

She had her babies on Friday. Not much nesting going on but they are all getting fed. Is it normal for her to be out of her nest box a lot? Poor mama looks like she needs a break and has been super happy to pop out of the cage for a bit to play.

like people rats can be all sorts of different moms, from indifferent to really loving protective ones...as long as she's taking care of them that's good. :)

In the first week you can take mom out for 20 mins a a time every day, as the babies don't have fur to keep them warm at this time, once they are older and furred she can come out for 30 mins-hour each time.

Back