PREGNANT RAT (BLOODY DISCHARGE BUT NO BABIES?!) HELPPPPP!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claira2000

My girl had an oops 24 days ago with my new male, she broke into his cage while I was out! He was meant to get the snip sooner, but had to delay it as he required antibiotics and then this happened.

I rang vets yesterday as she hadn't still had them. he said wait another two days. At 12:30 last night (nearly five hours ago) she had a bloody discharge that has since dried in cage (it seemed normal to me in colour). I am not a novice with owning rats, rescues in the past that where pregnant had their babies basically straight after the bloody discharge and I have owned them for 13 years (just never been in this situation haha). She doesn't seem to be contracting either. She's running around as per normal.....I did a quick search and got conflicting results on whether I should be concerned or not?! some websites say it can take 24 hours after the bloody discharge, others have said it should happen within a couple of hours?!

Any advice would be appreciated, I plan on ringing my vet as soon as he opens (in three hours). I am just super anxious and scared. She's my heart rat so cannot loose her!!!

Did you weigh her daily to see her pattern in weight gain? If she was losing weight she may have reabsorbed her litter, or does she still look like she swallowed a tennis ball? How old is she? Older females especially first timers can have tiny litters or reabsorb. The bleeding can happen a few days before labour commences but if she's at 24 days is there any chance she gave birth and the pups were stilborn?

I've been monitoring and no babies. I was told fourteen months (six months ago), not exactly sure on the date as she was adopted and literally was still growing when I got her. So think she was much younger.

I thought she'd have a small litter, very noticeable from front and only sides when she stretches. She still looks like before, I have had a close look. She isn't liking me near her belly though.

Back