Prednisolone dosage low?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moscowsmule

Hi All,

this is my first post on this forum but been keeping rats for a very long time! We have a girl with PT she’s over two and has also struggled with an RI for quite a long time. She’s still eating and pottering about but was relying on us more and more and herRI wasn’t responding all that well to doxy baytril combo. On Friday we took her to the vet for a dexinjection and came away with prednisone to give her daily - it’s really helped but today seems to be tapering off a bit and I think the dose is too low (looking at the thread about dosage) but just wanted to check before we up it. In our eyes she is now in palliative care - she doesn’t seem in pain or distress at all but by this time we know she won’t be making any miraculous recovery - with everything that’s going on the vet isn’t easy at all and we just want her comfortable at home for now so we would rather her be on a higher dose and be comfortable if you know what I mean?!
so she weight 450 grams and I have 1mg tablets - if I go by the dosage 1mg for 1kg she should be having 0.45 of a 1mg tablet daily am I correct? As the vet put her on 1/4 of 1mg tab or 0.25 mg and I think he has erred on the side of caution with the lowest dose - but by this point (adding in the fact I’m sure we always lose a small amount of meds when using syringe etc) I think a more robust dosing would be better?

thanks in advance everyone ❤️

Ok your best bet is to add liquid and then draw up her dose by syringe. You would use a ratio of 1 pill to 1 ml of liquid whether it be water or a sweet syrup to make it taste better. Start with 2 tablets, 1 ml of water to make til dissolved then add 1 ml of sweet syrup. Shake well.

Her initial dose should be 0.45 ml once a day. Then once she stabilizes you can lower it to the lowest effective dose. I wanted to start with a smaller mix so you don't waste pills if it ends up too thick etc. Let me know how that mix turns out and then we can figure out if you need to change it (and change the dose).

Hi- sorry it’s been so long to reply thank you so much for the info - unfortunately the day after we had our girl PTS - the light was going from her eyes and she just didn’t have much independence and we were beginning to fear for her quality of life. She had a very happy life and was the bossiest most dominant lady I think she struggled with being unwell and jusy didn’t seem happy. Really appreciate your response though will keep in mind for future use of steroids :)

Back