POWDERED DOXY DOSAGE HELP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 19553

hiya - I'm ordering some doxycycline (from the US to the UK) and am wondering how to dose it in powder form?
Previously I've been given 1/4 of a 20mg tablet twice a day (as per vetinary instructions) but taking so many vet trips is proving costly and stressful for both me and the rats. my rats all weigh between 290-340 grams so if someone could help me work out an accurate dose that would be really helpful.

this is the product I'm looking at is this one (Mercasystems US: Pigeons Products and Pigeon Supplies online US store)
it's capsules and i'm not sure of the strength but it's the only one in stock :(

thank you!

Last edited:
That link is just for the store not the product. If you mean this
https://uspigeons.mercasystems.com/index.php/bonyfarma-pigeons-doxy-caps.htmlI would guess 100mg which is standard for fish and other vet uses, but I would definitely call or email the store and ask.

Then go to ratguide and get the dosage, calculate the ratio of (powder in capsule : active ingredient), because a 100mg pill may or may not have fillers, then measure out the dose based on the rats weight, and dose the rat while disguising the meds in something flavored they like.

But I'm guessing you dont own a mg capable scale, so you will have to make an aqueous solution. Cut the pill powder into an equal number of equal-sized lines on a mirror and then put one of those lines in a known volume of water and shake until dissolved. (I recommend 1.5ml mini centrifuge tubes for working with small quantities of meds, but any small capped vial will work) So if you cut out 10 equal sized lines and you add one to 1ml of water then you have a solution with a strength of 10mg/ml. If you're dosing at 5 mg/kg they would get 0.5ml, multiplied by the weight in kg. So 0.5ml x 0.300kg = 0.15ml

Oh and dont store doxy hyclate as an aqueous solution for more than two days or it starts to degrade. That's why commercial doxyvet comes in an oil base.

Last edited:
That link is just for the store not the product. If you mean this
https://uspigeons.mercasystems.com/index.php/bonyfarma-pigeons-doxy-caps.htmlI would guess 100mg which is standard for fish and other vet uses, but I would definitely call or email the store and ask.

Then go to ratguide and get the dosage, calculate the ratio of (powder in capsule : active ingredient), because a 100mg pill may or may not have fillers, then measure out the dose based on the rats weight, and dose the rat while disguising the meds in something flavored they like.

But I'm guessing you dont own a mg capable scale, so you will have to make an aqueous solution. Cut the pill powder into an equal number of equal-sized lines on a mirror and then put one of those lines in a known volume of water and shake until dissolved. (I recommend 1.5ml mini centrifuge tubes for working with small quantities of meds, but any small capped vial will work) So if you cut out 10 equal sized lines and you add one to 1ml of water then you have a solution with a strength of 10mg/ml. If you're dosing at 5 mg/kg they would get 0.5ml, multiplied by the weight in kg. So 0.5ml x 0.300kg = 0.15ml

Oh and dont store doxy hyclate as an aqueous solution for more than two days or it starts to degrade. That's why commercial doxyvet comes in an oil base.
thank you !! i contacted the manufacturer and they said the capsules are 10mg - which makes it a lot easier as one of my rats was already on 5mg x2 day. (she was given 20mg ronaxan tablets at 1/4 of a pill per dose, which was pretty high but it did the job)

i clicked the link in my post and it took me to the product i'm talking about?

Back