Potty Training?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any tips on potty training? My two girls only seem to go in one corner where they also sleep and stash their food. Ive had to zip tie the wooden logs to the back so their little poos wont fall through the cage bars outside of the cage. They are still new to me and their cage so I know it will take time but tips would be great. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20191116_004101.jpg
    20191116_004101.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 149
In the wild, animals will poo near their food to hide the fact there's food there and deter other animals from finding the food stash. For my guys, I would do twice daily clean ups of poops and place them in litter boxes, many would catch on and start using the litter box but some rats are quite stubborn.

In the wild, animals will poo near their food to hide the fact there's food there and deter other animals from finding the food stash. For my guys, I would do twice daily clean ups of poops and place them in litter boxes, many would catch on and start using the litter box but some rats are quite stubborn.
Thanks!! I have been doing that so hopefully they will catch on.

Any tips on potty training? My two girls only seem to go in one corner where they also sleep and stash their food. Ive had to zip tie the wooden logs to the back so their little poos wont fall through the cage bars outside of the cage. They are still new to me and their cage so I know it will take time but tips would be great. Thanks in advance!
Put the litter in the corner where they are already going. Make sure you pick up the accidents everyday and put them in the litter! They will figure it out i promise

So I posted this on another thread but no replied. do you have any suggestions on how many rats I can keep in my cage? I currently have the merry manor cage with 2 females. I was wanting to Max out at 3 or 4 rats but was unsure if I have the appropriate space or not.

Attachments

• 20191115_115641.jpg
    20191115_115641.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 146
What are the dimensions of the cage?

A rat cage needs a base at least 30 inches by 18 inches (bigger is better), with height and large levels
Horizontal space is very important for rats
For two rats a cage must be at least 4 cubic feet in size, but bigger is better
Add at least 2 cubic feet for each rat more then 2 rats

There are cage calculators that you can use to find out the max number of rats a cage can hold
Please see the Reference Thread for a link to a cage calculator and other information
https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Back