Post-surgery care advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madinaholic

Hi all, one of my girls needs surgery on Tuesday to remove a lump by her tail. The vet is optimistic but I've never had a rattie need surgery before so I'm not sure what's the best way to handle her once she's home.

Should I keep her in a single level cage for a few days, separated from her sister or better together, take her out for free roam/gentle play as normal or leave her for a few days etc. Any advice or general pointers anyone has would be really helpful as I want to make sure her recovery is as speedy and as comfortable as possible!

Thanks in advance

I'd make sure the vet only uses gas for the surgery, and make sure they give her an injection of pain meds, and send home adequate pain meds for her. It'll be very important, so she won't be in pain and picking at her stitches. I'd personally do a one level cage, with her cagemates. Just let her relax the first 24 hours, then after that, do short playtime sessions for her. Most importantly, make sure she's drinking plenty of water (don't mix anything in it). Hydration is more important than eating right away. She may be right back to her normal self within a couple of days of surgery, so don't worry. If she's on paper bedding, I'd personally switch it to either paper towels, changed a couple times a day, or fleece. At least for a few days. I'm sure there's someone with better advice. Good luck to your baby!

I'd make sure the vet only uses gas for the surgery, and make sure they give her an injection of pain meds, and send home adequate pain meds for her. It'll be very important, so she won't be in pain and picking at her stitches. I'd personally do a one level cage, with her cagemates. Just let her relax the first 24 hours, then after that, do short playtime sessions for her. Most importantly, make sure she's drinking plenty of water (don't mix anything in it). Hydration is more important than eating right away. She may be right back to her normal self within a couple of days of surgery, so don't worry. If she's on paper bedding, I'd personally switch it to either paper towels, changed a couple times a day, or fleece. At least for a few days. I'm sure there's someone with better advice. Good luck to your baby!
Thanks for your tips and well wishes! She's home and doing well :) She was acting very silly yesterday from all the medication and today she's mostly hiding in her bed - not sure if she's in pain (although she has had her pain killers today) or just super tired because yesterday she didn't sleep much and was just trotting round the cage licking everything in sight haha. She's eating and drinking though so I'm hoping with some rest she'll be back to herself in a few days.

Back