Possibly broken bone? HELP!:(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

destiny seymour

Okay so, one one older rat had gotten an ear infection and we had to travel a to a vet for him, we were fine for a day. All my girls and boys were all out and running around before I left Friday night. When I got back Saturday evening I check my boys all ran up for kisses and then treats, after I went to check my girls all ran up but one of my girls, she’s seemed to be sleeping which was odd she didn’t get up but I said hello to everyone when got her to get up with some food, she was slow and super tired looking, I thought she was in a deep sleep and just needed a min to wake up, after a minute she was standing and the shelf slightly wobbling, her eyes were still half open so I got super concerned I slowly picked her out of the cage and she was a bit limp then I saw her foot, IT WAS 3X9, BIGGER THERE HER OTHER HIND LEG!
I got my bf to hold her and there was no cutes or puss or blister her foot was just huge and purple she couldn’t put a lot of weight on it I called the vet but they aren’t open until Tuesday , I put her in a little cage and syringe feed her food and water and when I went to bed at 4am she was cuddled up to my other recovering rat then at 9am when I woke up she had passed away des anyone know what this is, after she passed I got a good look and her hip in the same size was swollen. What cause this to happen in 24 hours. Please any information will help I just want to make sure I %100 percent keep this from being a possibility for my other babies:((
P.s she was only a year old

Attachments

• 6EA0D659-12C1-4A9D-A71B-335D376B6BFB.jpeg
    6EA0D659-12C1-4A9D-A71B-335D376B6BFB.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 7411B23E-03AB-486C-AC14-676186634354.jpeg
    7411B23E-03AB-486C-AC14-676186634354.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 3C04EC29-A53B-43A9-A753-AFB68B763DC2.jpeg
    3C04EC29-A53B-43A9-A753-AFB68B763DC2.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 194
I never thought about that and yes we do have wired cages they are leveled but we do keep fleece pads on the levels not the ramps tho

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's extremely difficult to lose our furbabies so suddenly.

My best guess would be that the leg swelled up and the blood clotted, which lead to a possible blood clot breaking off and traveling to the brain or heart. I'm no med student, just a lot of hearsay about broken bones, but sometimes in humans, broken bones can causr blood clots.
That, or, as another member suggested, was an infection that became septic.

I wish I could be more helpful. Thankfully it doesn't look like it was related to an illness! Aside from the purple foot, she looks really healthy.

Back