Possible UTI

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttt

Hi

For the last week and a half or so I've been noticing little drops of blood on the bed where my boys play and in the cage. At first it was just one drop suddenly appearing somewhere and it has happened maybe 4 times but last night suddenly 4-5 drops appeared on the bed. I tried to locate where the blood came from and have checked all the boys allover right after I noticed the drops and couldn't find any blood on them. Today I checked my 1 year 1 month old again and he had a drop of blood on his penis so I now know the blood has been coming from him. I haven't noticed any bloody urine but I'm putting him in a carrier on paper now to see how his urine looks. I haven't noticed any change in behaviour.

When I've had rats with UTIs before I've always noticed either blood in the urine or lethargy but I haven't noticed either symptom. Do you think it's s UTI? Is it normal for the only symptom to be drops of blood? What else could it be?

Are you sure it's not porphyrin you see on your sheets? Rats can also have porphyrin in the genital area as well. But if you do find a urine soaked napkin with pink or red, then yes, that would be a UTI and they need to see a vet for the right kind of meds.

I'm not sure if I can tell the difference. It's not dark red as the porphyrin they can get around their noses or the sneeze sprays they can make. It looks very much like blood and is a bright red color. What would be the reason for porphyrin coming out of the penis like that?

This is how his paper looked. No blood to be seen in his urine but drops of blood.

Attachments

• IMG_20180208_190448.jpg
    IMG_20180208_190448.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
He's 1 year and 1 month. We took him to the vet this morning. She couldn't see crystals in his urine but thought his penis looked a bit red and irritated. We got a convenia shot to cover if it was an infection anyway and if the bleeding is not better on Tuesday he's going in for an x-ray.

It's been my experience that convenia doesn't really work on rats. Make sure you go back if you still see the blood or an irritated penis, ask for Clavamox.

I actually haven't seen one single drop of blood from him since we came home from the vet last Friday. I didn't expect it to stop just like that since it had worsened and didn't even expect it to be a UTI since he wasn't in pain and didn't have red tinted urine. Could the convenia shot have worked though it doesn't work well with rats or do you think it's a coincidence the bleeding stopped?

Does the urine/penis smell unusual/bad? If so could be a penis plug. I just removed those from my male rat the other day. He wasn’t dripping blood but there was some blood around the masses.

Back