Possible Stroke?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triciamaxam74

Last night my two year old Taz, started gasping and seemed to be almost paralyzed,( he did move only slightly) . I laid beside him all night this morning he wasn't beside me he'd moved to his comfy spot when I went to him he got up and walked to me but seemed to be unbalanced abit and dragging his back legs slightly. He is a bit overweight,, but the past month I've put him on a diet. I guess I'm looking for advice, I so appreciate The Rat Shack for helping me in the past.

How is Taz doing now?
What symptoms does he display now?
Is he weaker on one side?
Can you post a video or two to youtube and put the link on here?

Here is some information about strokes in rats, symptoms, treatment etc
When rats experience neurological issues, including strokes the treatment is often a corticosteroid (such as dexamethasone or prednisone) plus baytril (orally twice a day)

Last edited:
How is Taz doing now?
What symptoms des he display now?
Is he weaker on one side?
Can you post a video or two to youtube and put the link on here?

Here is some information about strokes in rats, symptoms, treatment etc
When rats experience neurological issues, including strokes the treatment is often a corticosteroid (such as dexamethasone or prednisone) plus baytril (orally twice a day)
I'm going to try to get a video,he's eating today I put some Motrin in his fave yogurt and drinking water , he's quite sleepy but he does make some breathing noises as if he's having difficulty. Also three nights ago he did have a falll from my bed which is approx. 1.5 ft. This could be a possible cause of his problem . I'm just keeping a close eye on him and I will get a video . Thanks again ,Rat Shack

Back