Possible Overgrooming in Young Rats, Scabs on Sides?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kyn

Hello everyone! This is my first post here! Excited to be apart of this lovely community~

I recently got three beautiful boys from a breeder in early January. They were about 6 weeks old when I got them, so they are probably about 9 weeks old now.

I recently noticed that two of them (a silvermane and std. coat) have this weird scabbing on their sides, right beneeth their shoulders. It feels kind of like what bad eczema does in a human. It's not bleeding or has any pus, just dry scabs.

They seem a little bothered by it and I see them scratching that area often...

I thought at first it might be mites, but my rex doesn't have any signs of scabbing (that I can tell, he's very squirmy but I managed to check him over). And it seems too much of a coincidence that the other two would have scabbing in the exact same spots.

When I asked my breeder, she said she had treated them with ivermec at 5 weeks as a precaution against mites.

I see the rex grooming the other two and they squeak in protest... So I think it's probably overgrooming. Will this be something I can hope they will grow out of?

My breeder suggested dabbing a bit of Medicated Gold Bond Powder on the scabs, which I did today, but I'm a little wary using it because the container says it's dangerous to children if swallowed. She says she does this with her rats occasionally.

I can try to get a picture, but the only way I can get a decent picture is if I scruff them (they wiggle too much). I heard it's bad to scruff rats so I don't want to do it...

Any ideas? Thank you so much

Please do not use the cream …. your instincts are right, if it is not safe to be eaten, it is not safe to use on your rats

Overgrooming is a possibility, but it is more likely that it is mites
Treating rats once with ivermectin will not get rid of mites, they require multiple doses over time.
Your breeder does not sound knowledgeable about rats and imo is giving you dangerous advice

Not all rats will show symptoms re mites, but all rats will need to be treated.
Since it has been 3 or 4 weeks since they were treated with ivermectin, I assume it will now be safe to treat them with kitten revolution for mites. Please double check this with a knowledgeable vet or ask Lilspaz68 to see if she knows.
The amount of kitten revolution each rat is given is based on the strength (mg/ml) of the revolution and the weight of each rat. The revolution is measured out using a 1 ml syringe (with removeable syringe) and what will amount to a tiny drop is placed on the back of each rats neck. Usually one treatment is enough, however a second treatment can be given 4 weeks later if needed. Here is some information from the vet approved medical site for rat owners (ratguide.com) http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/ectoparasites.php

If you do not have a digital scale that has a tare function and weighs accurately to 1 gram, please consider getting one. It is an important tool for rat owners.
Most people get revolution from their vet. Having a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats and a willingness to learn, is essential as rats become ill and die fast without medical care.

Please do not use the cream …. your instincts are right, if it is not safe to be eaten, it is not safe to use on your rats

Overgrooming is a possibility, but it is more likely that it is mites
Treating rats once with ivermectin will not get rid of mites, they require multiple doses over time.
Your breeder does not sound knowledgeable about rats and imo is giving you dangerous advice

Not all rats will show symptoms re mites, but all rats will need to be treated.
Since it has been 3 or 4 weeks since they were treated with ivermectin, I assume it will now be safe to treat them with kitten revolution for mites. Please double check this with a knowledgeable vet or ask Lilspaz68 to see if she knows.
The amount of kitten revolution each rat is given is based on the strength (mg/ml) of the revolution and the weight of each rat. The revolution is measured out using a 1 ml syringe (with removeable syringe) and what will amount to a tiny drop is placed on the back of each rats neck. Usually one treatment is enough, however a second treatment can be given 4 weeks later if needed. Here is some information from the vet approved medical site for rat owners (ratguide.com) http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/ectoparasites.php

If you do not have a digital scale that has a tare function and weighs accurately to 1 gram, please consider getting one. It is an important tool for rat owners.
Most people get revolution from their vet. Having a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats and a willingness to learn, is essential as rats become ill and die fast without medical care.
Hi,
Thanks for your response. I talked to a rat rescue in my area and they also recommended kitten revolution. I'll call my local vet on Monday and see what they recommend.

Yeah, I kind of get that sense about the breeder too. She had good reviews and another breeder in my area recommended her, so I decided to get my babies from her. Oh well. :/

Poor babies. I feel bad from them, they are so itchy :/ I have been freezing my bedding before using it in their cage, but I heard bedding really needs to get down to -20° F in order to kill mites. I only froze it at about 0° F.

How would I identify mites on them? Can you see them with the bare eye?

You can not see mites.
There is a skin test but it is painful and results are not reliable so it is recommended not at allow it to be done
When rats are scratching around their heads and shoulders or scabs are found in those areas, mites are assumed and all rats ijthe household are treated with revolution. This usually solves the problem

Please read the link I posted above.
Freezing bedding for 48 to 72 hours should be fine re killing parasities

Back