Possible emergency

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Ashley N Price

My dumbo rats name is Pancakes. She has a dominant cage mate who is a fancy rat named Eggs (both saved from the depths of the exoitc snake shop as young babies.) She's a year old. Oh and she's swollen. I've made an appointment with the vet but that's not until Thursday. I'm pulling my hair out with anxiety.

I've read the possibilities of megacolon, and compaction, tumors.. I've never experienced anything like this.

There's no hard places on her, infact she's a little squishy according to my boyfriend. She's noticably swollen and today she's that much larger. Like a balloon ready to be popped. She's waddling to walk and breathing fast and slightly heavily.

I've not been able to determine her bowel movements until now: shehad diarrhea/large strand of soft stool, nothing like the normal poo pellets. Any ideas for piece of mind?

Or maybe something to ease the issues until Thursday?

If there's absolutely no chance of pregnancy, then it sounds like pyometra. This can be very dangerous, it's an infection in the uterus.

There's no chance of her being pregnant since she's only ever been with females. Unfortunately I can't get her in anytime sooner than Thursday. Most places won't treat rats so this is my only hope. She's still active and alert. She's eating and drinking normally but still very swollen.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? These might help whatever it is until you can get her to the vet. It sounds like it could be pyometra, which is when the uterus fills with pus, or a possible bladder infection. I would go with amoxicillin, Baytril, doxycycline or a combination of Baytril and doxy or Baytril and amoxicillin for broad spectrum infections. Otherwise you might be able to use natural antibiotics like colloidal silver or grapefruit seed extract if you have either of those. Good luck and I hope it’s nothing serious!

Can you post a pic or a video of your girl? Does she have any splashy high white markings?
She had normal poop before until she bloated up? Is her breathing fine?

Sorry for going cold for a few days. I took her to the vet yesterday. Yesterday was her worst day. The vets stressed her out and her state of condition was bad she was laying flat in her cage. We almost had to euthenize her. I'm so glad we didn't. IIcouldn't help thinking that we can overcome this.

She has fluid buildup in her abdomen. Not in her lungs but around them. So much so that the X-ray couldn't show her heart. They gave her three types of meds plus fluids because she was starting to get dehydrated. We also have ten days worth of meds for her to take twice daily. Last night she started to recover from the vet visit but still scared me to go to sleep. She wouldn't drink water so I gave her peaches which seemed to entice her more. This morning I woke up to her eating and climbing around. I was so happy I could cry.
We have to take her back in a week for a check up. I'm not trying to get my hopes up but she's already doing so much better.

Back