Possible ear infection

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dobalob29

Hi everyone! I am new here but have had rats for the past two years! I have 2 girls who are almost 2 and we have recently adopted 2 girls who are around 6 months old (we think). They were pregnant before they were sold to their last home and when they gave birth the owners decided to put them up for adoption. We have had them for around 2 1/2 weeks and whilst they are starting to come out of their shell, they are still extremley skittish!

We've noticed that one of the girls head is tilting to one side. At first we just thought it was one of her quirks and shes is just really inquisitive but today it seems to have got worse and she is walking with a lean to one side. She is eating and drinking fine and seems happy in herself. Her balance doesnt seem to be greatly affected at this stage from what I can tell.

After some research I'm pretty sure she has an ear infection however none of my rats have had one before! I've called our vets today and there is no exotic vet in our branch until a week on Thursday and our experiences with normal vets have not been great in the past. We can take her to a nearby town but I'm nervous the 45 minute journey may stress her out given how skittish she is. I'm not sure how time critical this is as I have read she could become deaf and have the head tilt for life if this is not sorted.

I am hoping one of you has some experience with this and can advise what the best option is for her.

I've put a few pics of her...they are so quick it's hard to get good pics!

Thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• 20190429_190700.jpg
    20190429_190700.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 20190429_220044.jpg
    20190429_220044.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 20190429_220039.jpg
    20190429_220039.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 116
Awwww poor baby! Do you happen to have any antibiotics hanging around your house? I know there are some you can mix and give yourself. The thing with ear infections, is they can get dizzy, stop running around, and stop eating and drinking, which is very bad. Also, it may be causing some pain. For that, you can give children's dye free motín (ibuprofen). Here is a website with good info, and meds to use. Www.ratguide.com has tons of good info, and it's vet approved. You just need to weigh your baby on a gram scale. Once you do that, put her weight on here, and what meds you may have, and Lilspaz, or someone can help you with dosages. On the meantime, watch her, and make sure she keeps eating and drinking. You can even make her lab blocks into mush if she seems uninterested in food. I'd try to get her an appointment asap, and when you take her, take a friend for her. It also helps to put a piece of fleece, or fabric that has their smell on it, and maybe a small hide for her carrier. That way she has a place to run to for safety and something and someone (rat) familiar to her. Good luck! Hope she gets better soon!

It could be several things but the most likely is an inner ear infection as you suspect.

The treatment is antibiotics and an anti inflammatory (such as Metacam or a steroid such as prednisone) to help prevent permanent damage.
Rats need to be on the antibiotics for at least 4 to 6 weeks and may need to be on them for several months.

If untreated it will continue to get worse and eventually kill your rattie girl, so the sooner you can get her in to see a good vet the better

Here is some info that may be helpful, ratguide is a vet approved medical site for rat owners
http://ratguide.com/health/auricle_ear/otitis_media_otitis_interna_labyrinthitis.php

Make sure that she is able to eat and stay hydrated. Soft foods such as rat blocks soaked in cool water to make mush, organic soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal, cooked vegs, mixed greens, broccoli, cooked whole grains, a piece of fruit etc may help

I hope she is soon feeling better

I'm not sure waiting a week and a bit is going to be advisable at all. A few days maybe but over a week, she could end up so ill you cannot save her. Do you have any antibiotics in your own cupboard? Amoxicillin, Augmentin (clavamox), Ciprofloxacin, Azithromycin?

Back