Possible Degloving? Help ASAP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jellydan

Hi there! This is my baby Goose. He likes to sit with me while I'm working at my desk but he jumped down right when I shifted and I think I rolled over his tail with my chair. That sounds really awful but he didn't even squeak, I only noticed cause he jumped back so quickly. Its probably more likely he got the tip of his tail in the chair leg edge and it pulled but I truly don't know. The whys not that important in the end. Im more worried about it being a degloving situation,

See all the references of degloving that I have seen look gruesome to some degree, where it is pretty bloody and you can see some bone or the tissue. It seems like Goose only really lost the outside dry skin crust of the tip of his tail. the skin underneath is pretty pink but only the tip is blood, and there's no breakage or bone exposure of any kind. the shape of his tail doesn't even look that changed despite the crust hanging there. I know it hurts him to some degree from how much he's moving his tail strangely, but he's letting me handle it without much complaint or sounds.

I gave it a saline wash, and i have him in a travel carrier away from his brother, but im not sure what to do from here. Does this need a vet asap? Or should I just watch it for a couple days to see how it and he reacts. is this even really degloving in the end? I can also verify that he's not missing any part of the tip of his tail, that was its natural ending point. I appreciate all advice! especially if anyone knows the proper dilution or how much to get him is regular or baby Tylenol or ibuprofen

Attachments

• 20211210_031647.jpg
    20211210_031647.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 77
I'm sorry your post was missed, it sounds less like a degloving and more that the scales were stripped off. You've done the right thing and I assume by now he's doing much better?

Back