Possible chest infection, lethargic, unsteady on feet,

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoodbrand

Our 16 month old Male rat has been poorly since the 28th Dec. First signs of problems were lots of red discharge from eyes and nose. A day later he was not moving around the cage. Took him to vets and they said possible myco....something (respiratory infection) prescribed 0.14ml baytril once a day and anti inflammatory/painkiller 0.7ml a day. 1st two days slight improvement but downhill since. We have been syringe feeding him pureed baby food and water, cleaning him and steaming him in the bathroom when showering. Last two days he keeps backing up with a hunchback until he falls over. Grinding his teeth and eye boggling. Sorry for the long post but really looking for any suggestions that could help the wee man out.

OK your description is pretty classic for pituitary tumour. The treatment they are giving him is pretty useless for it. You need to start with steroids (hopefully an injection of dexamethasone at the vets, then oral prednisone, then see if he responds (Metacam while an anti-inflammatory does very little for PT). You can get a prescription for bromocriptine 2.5 mg tablets from your vet which you can fill at the regular drugstore (call around to make sure you find one that has it in stock, and is reasonably price...the bigger chains usually are better overall).

If your vet won't help you (I have a feeling they've never seen it, since they diagnosed respiratory infection) he will end up dying. You'll need to help/support him with soft foods in bowls, then possibly syringe feeding. When he refuses food/water then they usually pass in 12-48 hours.

This is an article i made up to help people diagnose PT and also to show the improvement on steroids. Steroids is a more short term treatment, bromocriptine (which only works on the most common of rat PT) is an actual treatment that can possibly give you a much longer time together. I have a post on here if you can find it about Issa, where I was using bromocriptine for the first time and logging it all for my vet/myself.

https://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/pituitary_tumor.php
http://lilspazrathospice.blogspot.com/2016/11/pituitary-tumour-failing-cheerio-test.html

Thank you for your advise I will take Ernie back to the vet and see if he will treat him for PT. I am worried their may be two things at play with the amount of secretions coming from his nose and eyes.

If you want to link.a video here, that would help.

You can hold his sides to your ears and listen to his breathing. It should be quiet.

PT rats in more advanced stages stop grooming and the porphyrin that is a natural discharge buiilds up on their nose and eyes. Gently wipe them with a damp cloth or paper towel to help out.

Back