Porphyrin

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elricsgirl

Hello! My sweet girl has had a little bit of porphyrin on her nose here and there since her surgery (mammary tumor removal) 2 weeks ago. She's finished up with her pain meds and has one more day of antibiotics. She's active, eating and pooping well. She had her follow up appointment on Friday and there are no signs of respiratory distress or other illness.

I haven't seen any porphyrin around her eyes at all and none around the cage on her fleece or paper.

The one thing is that her incision is super itchy and she can scratch it with her back foot, so it's still pretty scabby and a little irritated. Could that be the cause of the porphyrin?

This is a little off subject, but we are traveling this week. We're heading to a destination about an hour and a half away for a few days and are taking our rattie with us. Any suggestions on how to keep the car ride as stress free as possible as well as being in a new environment?

Sorry you got no answer before this.. I expect it's too late to need any suggestions to keep your kids comfy for the car ride, generally a cover over the cage to avoid drafts, then steps depending on if it's hot or cold. I'm sure you did good.
Hope your little lady's porphyrin has cleared up, doesn't sound a big worry. For future if you can get Liquid Immuno from your vet or online, it's a Great help for kids that might be compromised by changes, surgery or old age... Hope you're all having a great time!

Sorry you got no answer before this.. I expect it's too late to need any suggestions to keep your kids comfy for the car ride, generally a cover over the cage to avoid drafts, then steps depending on if it's hot or cold. I'm sure you did good.
Hope your little lady's porphyrin has cleared up, doesn't sound a big worry. For future if you can get Liquid Immuno from your vet or online, it's a Great help for kids that might be compromised by changes, surgery or old age... Hope you're all having a great time!

Thank you so much for your reply! We're leaving tomorrow. I took her to the vet today, just to be safe. The vet said she looks healthy and the porphyrin is likely because she's been so so itchy at her surgery site and her foot has a hotspot from an old bumblefoot wound. We got some meds and the okay to travel.

We have a travel carrier for her: https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...s-small-animal-carrier-14335.html?cgid=600204. We'll line it with fleece and bring snacks that will keep her hydrated. Once we're there, we'll put her back in her cage. We're taking the cage that she lives in at home so that she has all of her normal comforts. Hopefully that will do the trick!

A little olive oil in the diet can help dry skin, if you have vitamin E capsules you can dab a bit on the wound to help the itching... If it's hot you can freeze tiles or those freezer pack things and wrap them in a towel. If cold blankets will do it. (never know what weather is doing anywhere these days, lol)

Back