Porphyrin

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tbrattypatty

My new rat I think has porphyrin around one eye from what I saw after she woke up. She quickly cleaned it off so I didn’t get a great look at it. I think she has been stressed considering everything around is so new. Should I be worried ?

Rats tend to excrete porphyrin naturally and then groom it off with regular sessions. Stress and illness can cause a rise in the amount of porphyrin being produced. As long as there isn't excess around her eyes and nose, I wouldn't be too concerned. Keep an eye on her, though.

Today

Attachments

• AADBCFB2-16C6-4238-B1F0-5463DE4E654E.png
    AADBCFB2-16C6-4238-B1F0-5463DE4E654E.png
    258.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 5F5DC0B5-ACE2-4B7C-BFFB-BC3158AEDD17.png
    5F5DC0B5-ACE2-4B7C-BFFB-BC3158AEDD17.png
    269 KB · Views: 105
Since she's young and she's relatively new to your care, give her a few more days before worrying too much. Stress can cause an excess of porphyrin. However, if it continues, I'd suggest calling a vet to make sure it can't be illness.

A few other reasons there may be excessive amounts of porphyrin is dehydration or a poor diet. Make sure you have at least two water bottles and at least two bowls (that can't be tipped over) of water. As for food, I'd recommend Oxbow adult rat food with veggies as supplements. It may also have to do with the air quality. Please make sure you aren't using lotions, or fragrances with your rats.

Back