Poorly rat baby :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rat-a-tata

Hi Everyone, I’m new to this so please bear with me!
I got home from work today and noticed that one of my rats (Twitch almost 2 years old) wasn’t coming out of her favourite wooden cabin for food. I got her out the cage and noticed immediately that she wasn’t gripping on to me with her paws as she usually does, her tail was hardly moving, and she just felt weak if that makes sense? I put her on my sofa and she kept ‘flopping?’ to one side when she tries to walk. She can’t hold food and just kind of puts her face into it like a dog, I also offered her water from a small spoon whilst supporting her head and she wouldn’t drink it (I’m worried about how long it’s been since her last drink)
I’ve also mashed up some banana and rice pudding and put it next to her cabin (which she returned straight back to once I’d put her back in the cage) and she keeps popping her little head out and having a good munch on. The cage is multi storey but I cannot block off the floors and her cage mate seems completely fine. Can anyone offer any advice please? I’m really worried about her and was in tears earlier. I’ve owned rats for the past 4 years and love them dearly. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? Thank you in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
vet appointment with a good vet that has the knowledge and experience to treat rats, asap

Try giving her fluids, and she may need a vet to give her sub-Q fluids (vet can teach you how and sell you the needed supplies) …..
when you pull up gently on the skin on the back of her neck and let go, does it quickly snap into place? If not she may be dehydrated …… dehydration kills

perhaps you can remove the ramp so she can not access levels, padded/soft cage floor, water dish that can not be upset, shallow dishes easy to eat from
Keep her warm and hydrated - soft foods (such as her blocks soaked in cool water to make mush, organic soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal, and other things such as cooked sweet potato, cooked squash, cooked real oatmeal etc) .….. whatever she can eat that will provide nutrition and help to keep her well hydrated

you may need to syringe feed her - one drop at a time into the side of her mouth so it does not go into her lungs

Is she weaker on one side then on the other? (possible stroke)

How is her breathing? What does it sound like when you hold her you to your ear and listen to both sides of her chest?

Is she on meds?

Can you post some videos ? (post to youtube and then put the link on here)

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I intend to take her to the vets tomorrow, it’s my local vets that me and my family have been taking our pets to for years and they really are amazing so I know she’ll be in the right hands.

Of course! The ramp! I can’t believe I didn’t think of that, think my mind is a bit all over the place at the moment.

I’ve just soaked some weetabix and made it into a mush and replaced the banana with it. She almost immediately started to eat it.

She isn’t on meds and her breathing sounds normal, maybe a little shallow, her fur is also kind of puffy.

I will try and get a video now. Thank you so much again, your advice is really appreciated.

Please see these two links and see if they sound like how she is doing

http://ratguide.com/health/neurological/stroke.php
http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/pituitary_tumor.php

you may also want to make sure she can access her house, and/or handg a hammock low so she can get into it - hammocks can be hung so that she can crawl into them

below are pictures of Rhys and Sandra, neither could use their back legs

June 2018 Rhys.jpg

July 2018 Sandra and Ryfs in the house.jpg

To be honest I think it sounds like a pituitary tumour, both links were really helpful.

I’ve separated her from her cage mate so she is now in her own smaller cage (which I forgot I had!) where everything is all on one level including the little cabin she likes to sleep in which sits on the floor. She seems content and cosy but is definitely struggling with her balance and she feels very weak. I know it won’t be nice for her and her sister to be separated but I was worried about leaving them together overnight incase Poppy hurts Twitch by mistake whilst trying to play or something.

Rhys and Sandra are beautiful! I like how the one on the bottom is just chilling with their broccoli :D

The rat in the picture at the bottom is Sandra.
Sandra had pt and meds gave her a lot of good time, although she did need quite a bit of care and help with eating
Rats usually do best if they can continue to live with their friends

Thank you so much all for your kind words and advice. Sorry for the delayed reply, unfortunately Twitch has crossed the rainbow bridge last Sunday night, she took a turn for the worse and I had to take her to the emergency vets. Poppy has two new cage mates - Moo & Lilly. Both 10 weeks old and settling in well with their big sister.

Attachments

• 5C333F07-32D3-40E8-9632-4EFFDEB58979.png
    5C333F07-32D3-40E8-9632-4EFFDEB58979.png
    280.9 KB · Views: 157
  • BC52A055-6D76-47F5-AB42-01C523273B28.png
    BC52A055-6D76-47F5-AB42-01C523273B28.png
    295.5 KB · Views: 160
Thank you for all your helpful advice, you were a massive help when I was worrying and panicking about the situation. Sorry I haven’t been able to post any updates sooner, I’ve been ridiculously busy with work but my family have been a massive help with providing company and helping them all adjust and settle in.

Back