Poor Hestia-couple of videos added...stubborn happy gal :'(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
Oh god... this is the hardest decision ever.

How you wrote you don't have a vet?

Dr. Munn's clinic was sold, and she had to move out by July 27. She has a new place (closer to me by far...Pape/Gerrard) but its still under construction. and they are still waiting on permits. She and her family will live upstairs.

She was planning on doing Mobile vet but that didn't pan out either, so we are without her services for 3 months, and she has no money coming in as well. Poor Us.

I have a vet that just learned neuters and I can take rats to for meds, and euth but that's probably all. Never know though.

There's another vet at Amherst but I didn't like his "service" when I was there for Sebastian, and they also were pricey. It can take days to get into that clinic and its just up the road from Doc Munn's.

I have the baytril, the zithro scripts, metacam, dexamethasone, gentocin for things but Hestia's unexpected tumour rupture is throwing me for a loop. :(

It looks horrid, but she's happy so far. Still no smell and I check it twice a day before her meds.
I am hoping she will let me know when she's had enough and we'll take that final trip. :(

Is the vet you didn't like Links Road? When I was calling around here looking for a new vet, they all told me to call there. I'd never heard of them though.

Oh no, I bet there's a ton of people feeling lost without D. Munn.

What about just putting a bandage type of thing on the open wound with lots of polysporin. You could use that vet bandage stuff, found at most pet stores.

moon said:
Is the vet you didn't like Links Road? When I was calling around here looking for a new vet, they all told me to call there. I'd never heard of them though.

No I was talking about Amherst Vet Clinic in Scarborough. The vet, Dr. Luckwaldt is very knowlegeable but very offhand and offputting. They take your rat away for any procedures to the back room (in this case it was a abscess lancing on his cheek). They brought him back to me lanced but they never cleaned up the matter off his face (blood/pus) so when I got home he had a 1" square rock hard solid mass over the wound that took me 2 days to soften and get through so I could flush it properly. Poor Sebbie. :(

Hestia doesn't do bandages but I can try later on when she comes out for her "run".

Aw Shelagh, my heart goes out to you. Have you maybe tried calling the vet and asking if she could do it I don't know in your house. I realize that it wouldn't be as sterile. But could you talk to her? Maybe something could be done. I know I have heard of things like that before.

I don't know, I'm not really knowledgable in this stuff.

Hugs and kisses.

LA said:
Aw Shelagh, my heart goes out to you. Have you maybe tried calling the vet and asking if she could do it I don't know in your house. I realize that it wouldn't be as sterile. But could you talk to her? Maybe something could be done. I know I have heard of things like that before.

I don't know, I'm not really knowledgable in this stuff.

Hugs and kisses.

Its incredibly illegal for her, she cannot take the chance at losing her license, which I totally agree with.

Plus Hestia only has a month or 2 ahead of her if she didn't have the tumour rupture.

I just took a video of Hestia (sorry its really dark), just to show you why I am soo conflicted. She was having a blast just standing out of reach of the Wildthings in the Pen. :lol2:

Ohhh, poor Hestia. (And poor you!!)
But its good to see her being playful and spunky! She is such a cutie. Sending all the healing vibes I can!

Oh man... I can see how hard that is for you... it would be completely different if she was miserable :(

She definitely looks pretty happy! Our rats are very resilient little creatures, aren't they? It doesn't seem to bother her at all!

I would just continue to keep it as clean as possible (with chlorhexidine if you have it), which I'm sure you are already doing.

I'd think that as long as she's happy and not hurting then there's no reason to consider letting her go yet.
That thing sure does look ucky, but the rest of her is beautiful! Bless her happy heart.
I'm sorry for the agony you are going thru.

Back