Plush soft dog toy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiore

I have a rat who has 24/7 free range of my bedroom, he's not a chewer (in fact, he has access to some of my soft toy animals) and so I was thinking of getting him some soft dog toys to put on the shelf he likes to hang out on etc. Does anyone else's rats have soft plush dog toys? Are they safe?

It would be much better to get him at least one rattie friend (assuming he does not live with other rats) as that is essential for rats

Sometimes people give a lone rat a small stuffed animal, however it is essential that the stuffed animal not have any small parts or stuffing that has small pieces that can be swallowed. He may not be a chewer but since it is normal rat behaviour, he might unexpectedly chew something

Rats are stealthy chewers! I had a rat out on my bed with me one day and he got into my IKEA rat stuffed animals. Thankfully no small parts and the stuffing is just cotton, but rats do chew quietly. As SQ said, friends are preferred over stuffed animals.

Oh yeah, he does have a rat friend :)

It's just that I was ordering some stuff online for him - new toys, tunnels, hammocks, etc, and I was wondering whether he could have soft toys too.

I think dog toys with no stuffing are probably the safest type of soft toy since it's made with dogs in mind but then it seems difficult to find ones without a squeaker. I know dogs can swallow squeakers so I'd never give my dogs one - at least without supervision - but I'm not sure about rats. I guess it's still possible he could chew the squeaker and swallow bits of plastic. Although, like I said, he never chews anything in my room.

Awesome, glad he has a rat friend!
As for the plush, I wouldn't allow a toy with a squeaker personally, simply because it is plastic. Most dog toys use cotton or polyester (which is basically fake cotton and is a cheaper alternative to cotton, if I'm not mistaken) as filling. Even with dogs, people pick up the filling fairly quick. Dogs eat their toys all the time, so be wary of your rats doing the same.

Be wary of getting something (whether it be toy, cage, or any item regardless) marketed towards animals. Companies have a nasty habit of labeling something safe for an animal and it really isn't. Baby toys are a great route to go, because there are heavy regulations on what can or can not be in baby items. They also tend to be cheaper.

I was going to recommend baby toys as well. Or the ikea rats or mouse stuffed toys. Plus, they are just adorable and cheap!

I was going to recommend baby toys as well. Or the ikea rats or mouse stuffed toys. Plus, they are just adorable and cheap!
I have the IKEA rats. My rats, when allowed on my bed, like to find those stuffed animals and tear them open. I love the IKEA rats and they're a fantastic plush toy for rat cages, in my opinion.

Back