PLS HELP RAT HAS LARGE WOUND IN STOMACH

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kristina

Recently just got two new female rats off facebook for my single female whos cage mate passed about a month ago. I kept them in separate cages for 2 weeks while introducing them and ended up buying a double critter nation for all three of them. I have been leaving her alone to figure out her way around the cage and she has not been out for about 3-4 days. Finally, last night I took her out to play and realized she had a large hole about the size of a quarter on her lower abdomen (or vagina honestly can't tell) it is hollow and I can see inside of her body. She is not bleeding, just licking the wound occasionally. She is eating and drinking fine and behavior is normal but I am freaking out. All of the rats get along and there has been no fighting. Just wondering if anyone knows what this is and if I should separate them.

Please post pictures
a video might also be useful - to post a video you need to post it somewhere like youtube and then post the link on here

does it look like its open down to the muscle? But only a little or no blood? If so its probably a skin tension slice where teeth or claws slice through the skin down to the muscle layer, then the skin tension pulls it open wide (and scary looking). Kept clean these usually heal very easily with little interference.
The location is a bit worrying though. On her belly, she was likely flipped on her back and held down (pinned) while power groomed, she protested and struggled and the dominant girl probably sliced her with her teeth.

It had no blood yesterday and a little today. She still has no change in behavior. I just don't know how to go about treating this. Thank you for your replies.

Attachments

• rat 1.pdf
    571.2 KB · Views: 189
  • rat 2.pdf
    284.5 KB · Views: 192
Ok that looks like an abscess that's burst and you can see pus or the fat layer of the body. A bite is much cleaner. If you get your nose right up to it do you smell anything foul? You can start with making up a saline mix and flushing that cavity twice a day to keep.it clean, possibly break up any thicker pus/matter in there. A vet would be best choice though.

Back