Pls Help! Our Rescue Rat Hibernated

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sarah-Jane

Hi guys

Can you please help! We rescued a severely malnourished and ill treated pet rat. We are very concerned over a few things:
* Dobby smells like Olbas Oil since we brought home now 4 weeks ago
* Yesterday we came home to find Dobby unconcious, faint heart beat and cold. Thankfully after a good few hours, I managed to bring Dobby round from his "hibernation" however, the poor babes back legs are weak x I'm syringe feeding and offering fluids regularly albeit still not a great appetite x
Any advice will be greatly appreciated x We are determined to save Dobby and worry a veterinarian won't help him to fight xx

How old is he? Have you tried organic soy baby formula mixed with baby cereal?
We were told Dobby was 1 but to be honest he's so tiny he looks like 6 months old x I have tried baby porridge mixed with soya milk gently heated and also cold but he won't eat it x We have noticed that he loves cuddles skin on skin and falls asleep on our chest x

If he hasn't been fed sufficiently, he may be on the smaller side. Maybe try mixing it with baby food, like different veggies, and fruits. Or giving him the formula mixture with a little bit of strawberry syrup or strawberry yogurt mixed in.

What are you feeding him?

Please feed organic soy infant formula as it has the nutrition he needs …. It can be thickened a bit with baby cereal - this can be syringe fed
You can also grind up his rat blocks (oxbow or Harlan 2014) and soak them in water to make much - this too will provide the nutrition he needs

If you are syringe feeding give a drop at a time into the side of his mouth so that it will not go down into his lungs
As you are likely aware, rats do not hibernate …. he may have had a stroke, or may have been dehydrated etc and in the process of dying or etc

Can you post some videos? (post to youtube and then put the link on here)
Glad he is doing better
I hope he will continue to improve

Last edited:
Also, does he have any cagemates? If I missed that, sorry. But a cagemate around his age of the same sex, can oftentimes help lift their spirits as well. Hope he's doing better today!

Back