Please read!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
The Rat Shack was created primarily to offer a place were rat lovers can unite in order to learn and share their experiences with regards to rat care . It was also created to promote rats needing good homes, rats in rescues and shelters.
This board serves as a friendly and helpful resource for all members.

At the Rat Shack we believe every member is entitled to respect. Members should feel free to learn and share their thoughts and ideas without fear of being flamed, ganged up on or attacked.
We remind our members that education and gentle persuasion is the best way to resolve conflicts. Members will disagree from time to time since we all have our own opinions and beliefs. But we need to also keep an open mind and not judge our fellow member.
Name calling, flaming, attacking and ridiculing by way of sarcasm will not be tolerated.

We do not condone at home procedures or surgeries. Members may not discuss at home methods on this forum.
We do not condone the breeding of feeders.
We do not condone home euthanasia.
We do not condone live feeding of any animal.
Nor do we allow discussion of feeding practices of certain reptiles.
We also ask that breeders not advertise on this board. We believe as a breeder you should already have your waiting list.
On this rescue forum, there will be no promoting or advertising of any breeder whatsoever.

We will not tolerate spamming or trolling.
We will not allow offensive material or profanity. We ask that you keep your posts clean and remember that some of our members are young.

When registering to our community please introduce yourself in the Introduction section found in the Welcome forum, so we can get to know you better. We look forward to meeting new members. We strive to keep this place a family oriented board where we learn from each other and share with each other.

Should there arise a situation that makes a member uncomfortable or should there be a questionable post, please contact one of the management. There is also a report post which will alert us to any problems.

Thank you,

Last edited:
I have been known as "the crazy rat lady" in my neighbourhood and family for a few years now...since I rescued my first three ratties from becoming something's lunch. So happy to find places where I can just be another rat lady, with no wincing or "crazy" added! :)

Updated. I can't believe I had to write up a rule about not condoning at home procedures and surgeries. This should be a given. Bring your rat to a qualified vet!

No, I can drain an abscess myself you self righteous idiot. Why can't YOU bring your rat to someone who can help him when he needs help? My double Rex has an infected gland, one of the ones next to his penis. I have to unsheathe it and squeeze the pus out so that he can get some relief from the pressure and pain until the antibiotics take hold. Are you suggesting that I take him to my vet every couple of days until that happens? And if I didn't drain it? Then what? It closes up the gland, seal it up and continues to grow until he's in so much pain he can't walk or pee? Your reasoning is truly unsupported and you need to give people sound advice in these matters, not tell them to just go to a vet! That's not how it works in reality.

No, I can drain an abscess myself you self righteous idiot. Why can't YOU bring your rat to someone who can help him when he needs help? My double Rex has an infected gland, one of the ones next to his penis. I have to unsheathe it and squeeze the pus out so that he can get some relief from the pressure and pain until the antibiotics take hold. Are you suggesting that I take him to my vet every couple of days until that happens? And if I didn't drain it? Then what? It closes up the gland, seal it up and continues to grow until he's in so much pain he can't walk or pee? Your reasoning is truly unsupported and you need to give people sound advice in these matters, not tell them to just go to a vet! That's not how it works in reality.
We do not encourage people to do surgeries at home and by procedures I'm talking about spays and such, not draining an abscess. There is a big difference with needing a qualified vet and taking care of an abscess at home.

We do not encourage people to do surgeries at home and by procedures I'm talking about spays and such, not draining an abscess. There is a big difference with needing a qualified vet and taking care of an abscess at home.
Then why are you posting this crap after my post???

Also, if you keep using that kind of condescending tone and language you will be banned.
What language? What tone? Just because I disagree with someone you accuse me of using foul language? People say crap on here all the time! Rats have soft crap, diarrhea, and that's foul language? And I'm not condescending at all. You can't tell me I will be banned for disagreeing with something, That's not right. That's just abuse of power

What language? What tone? Just because I disagree with someone you accuse me of using foul language? People say crap on here all the time! Rats have soft crap, diarrhea, and that's foul language? And I'm not condescending at all. You can't tell me I will be banned for disagreeing with something, That's not right. That's just abuse of power
You know what I'm talking about. You have every right to disagree and to your opinion but you can share that in a respectful way.

By the way Rocket99, did you make an intro post? I would be very interested in knowing more about you, you sound very intelligent and quite knowledgeable about rats, what's your background with them?

Back