Please help?!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatNat

Hi I'm new to the rat forum scene so bare with me. I own 2 8 month old female dumbo rats and when I came home from work I went to say hi to the girls and give them a cuddle but when I picked one of them up she started squealing in pain. I took her to the vets and they said that there didn't seem to be any serious injury and that she was just bruised and gave me Loxicom. I have used this medication in my job and on the family dog and know that it is a reliable drug but I just wanted some advice on what else I can do so that she doesn't hurt herself any further. I have a tall cage that stands at about 1.7m tall and I have a sneaky suspicion that she may have fallen down and hurt herself as she is a bit of a hellraiser. Can anyone suggest anything to help her recover and to prevent this from happening again please?
Thank you

Last edited:
Do you have hammocks in your cage? For a taller cage where falling is a possibility, you should probably hang hammocks to catch any fallers.
It's possible she's strained her back and the nerve endings end up running down to the tail tip. Sometimes the nerves zing in the tail tip when the injury is elsewhere. The loxicom should take care of any inflammation.

Back