Please Help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petlover

Hi Guys,

I need some advice.
I MAY of found 2 male rats needing homes but im not sure because of the age.
Alfie my rat is around 14 Months and the 2 male rats who need a home are around 7 month old.
I am armed with enough info on the intro's from the suggestions made on the site but what i need to know is are the ages too high or far apart for this to work or do you think this is going to be a tough intro.?
All input appreciated.

Yvonne & Barry

I'm going to be honest with you and tell you that intros with mature males can be difficult but doable. You'll need to take it very slow until you get to know the characters of the newbies and how Alfie will react to them.
The new guys should be quarantined for at least two weeks, this should give you time to get to know them better. Socialize them to you. Then I would set their cage very close to Alfie. This is where you are going to see how hard the intros will be. From Alfie's reaction and the newbie's reaction to the new rat smells. From that point, there are several ways of going at it. Which we can get into once you are there.

Back