Please help - One of my handreared rat babies have escaped while in husbands care

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes they are wild ones. They were from a farm.

Can they be fully tamed? They were doing so well and the unexpected escape put a spanner in the works, plus one of them bit me a few days ago and it's made me very wary of them now.

Yes they are wild ones. They were from a farm.

Can they be fully tamed? They were doing so well and the unexpected escape put a spanner in the works, plus one of them bit me a few days ago and it's made me very wary of them now.
Fully tamed? Id say no, but could you tell the difference? Again, no. Some domestic rats are less socialized than fully wild ones, so its all a crapshoot. As for being bitten, if you didn't bleed, it didn't count as a "bite". If it hurt but didn't bleed, i call those love bites, lol. If he was in the cage and bit you? That's on you. Even the nicest rats can occasionally bite when disturbed in their cage, especially if you're cleaning it. I never clean with my rats in the cage because I know most of them won't be happy and will bite just because they feel you are intruding on their turf. While others will bring me their dirty bedding to help out! Again... you just don't know. Bur as a rule, never stick your hand in their cage and go searching for your beloved rat.

Fully tamed? Id say no, but could you tell the difference? Again, no. Some domestic rats are less socialized than fully wild ones, so its all a crapshoot. As for being bitten, if you didn't bleed, it didn't count as a "bite". If it hurt but didn't bleed, i call those love bites, lol. If he was in the cage and bit you? That's on you. Even the nicest rats can occasionally bite when disturbed in their cage, especially if you're cleaning it. I never clean with my rats in the cage because I know most of them won't be happy and will bite just because they feel you are intruding on their turf. While others will bring me their dirty bedding to help out! Again... you just don't know. Bur as a rule, never stick your hand in their cage and go searching for your beloved rat.
Haha! Yes! All very true!

They are all doing amazingly well together, no puffing up, no fighting, there has been the occasional rolling around, but no noises and no aggression.

Thankyou for your help and advice.

Back