Please help my rat won’t come out of under my bed

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzyrat

I usually free roam my rats for 2 hours a day but yesterday the little one(4months) quickly got past me and went straight under my bed, before he would slowly come back to his cage after an hour or two, but yesterday he was being very skidish and wouldn’t leave. I tried luring him out with some nut butter and mealworms, and it worked but he would only take a bite and run straight back, so in the end I had to leave his water bowl and food out and the cage open, I’m getting pretty worried, is there any way of getting him out?

You could try a live trap(have a heart or something similar) or you could have the others out again and see if that lures him out, if you interact with the others he might come out on his own. You could also try laying on your stomach with your hand under the bed holding goods and just let him run back and forth, slowly scooting back so you can snag him with your other hand easier

I tried holding it and he would just run back even if i had teh slightest movement, also I’ve only had him for three weeks and he might be shy? Should I be worried? or maybe move my bed to catch him? Sometimes when I’m there he’ll poke his head out but runs back under immediately

Last edited:
I tried holding it and he would just run back even if i had teh slightest movement, also I’ve only had him for three weeks and he might be shy? Should I be worried? or maybe move my bed to catch him? Sometimes when I’m there he’ll poke his head out but runs back under immediately
Sorry for not responding sooner, He could totally be shy, If theres no dangers in the area and he has food/water try not to panic. If you can spend hours sitting on the floor with your back to the bed/resting up against the bed and just talk about anything or nothing it may help him see you aren't a threat, during that you can place something yummy next to you to maybe gain his trust, if he jumps at any sudden movement during that don't freeze just keep doing what you were doing to show him it wasn't directed at him and hes fine. You might catch him trying to sneak back to his cagemates at some point because rats hate leaving their buddies for long so you might be able to catch him in that situation too(depending on your setup, I don't know if their cage is even in the same room as you) It may take a few days to catch him and you might want to resort to a live trap if he doesn't come around in a week or so(I'm hoping he does come around !) Keep calm and relaxed energy while by him if possible, rats feed off our energy so if you're calm, he'll be more likely to remain calm. If you don't want to use a live trap and its taking too long for you, you could always try a broom- Using the soft end and trying to flush him out !

Thank you so much, he was too scared to go drink water and seemed kinda disoriented so I was pretty worried, so I moved my bed and put him in his carrier and now he’s back in cage with his buddy and I’ll do my best to rat proof my entire room so that doesn’t happen again:)

Thank you so much, he was too scared to go drink water and seemed kinda disoriented so I was pretty worried, so I moved my bed and put him in his carrier and now he’s back in cage with his buddy and I’ll do my best to rat proof my entire room so that doesn’t happen again:)
I'm glad he's safe.!

Back