Please help, my boys don't seem happy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That really sucks that this was your very first experience with rats. I think it was very irresponsible for the shelter to give them to you knowing you're a first time rat parent. I really feel for you and I hope you catch him so you can rehome them.

You need two domesticated babies that were just weaned and ready for a new home. Those are the rats for you.

I haven't, I was waiting until I had Loki secured to ask them how I should proceed with finding them a new home or if the foster family will take them back...our contract just says I have to give them fair notice. It would probably be best to find him a new home here in Ottawa though because I have no easy way of transporting them back to Kitchener.

LOKI'S HOME!!!!!

It's almost 3am, and the masterful, crafty escape artist is now in a trap and in his cage, just under 3 weeks from the escape. Now I know what it really sounds like when Loki's caught in the trap - he really struggled for a bit. Thrashed and railed a bunch then started grinding his teeth on the bars. I finally got some cheese and bananas a few days ago, mashed them up and set the bait. Didn't take for two nights, and he tripped it last night - but tonight I wander out to the racket and he's in there! Not happy at all, but he's with his brother now (sort of).

If anyone's up, some input is needed in this next tricky bit: will Thor be safe around Loki now? A rat expert I was put in touch with through the boys' rescue mentioned that the longer Loki's out the less tame he'd become. I don't know how much damage three weeks of freedom would do but either way - I should probably let Loki out of the trap soon(?), but I'm afraid the brothers will fight after their long time apart (plus their non-neutered young male halfsie aggression). When I put the trap in the cage, it took a minute but Thor came and sniffed around - and honestly if they worked together I feel like they could even open the trap door themselves lol. Still I'm a little apprehensive about opening that trap door and Loki springing again, and even then I worry the boys will scrap - Loki wanting to assert dominance over Thor now that he's an experienced adventurer? Thor keeps creeping around, he's definitely trying to work out how to free his bro.

Also, I didn't have water in the trap (he would have tipped it over anyway as he did with the dish of food) so if I go to sleep now Loki will have food but no access to water for some hours. I could mayyybe get up in a few hours and tilt the water bottle tip between the trap bars for a bit - or will he be fine till morning with some Oxbow, blueberries and banana? EDIT: I tilted the water bottle into the trap for Loki and got a new dish of fresh water for Thor, easy solve.

Thanks everyone for the support during this ordeal!! Will be up for a bit anyway emailing the boys' foster family and rescue the good news.

Last edited:
If they are only 5 months or so, they should be okay to put back together. I'm sure Loki visited his brother a lot during those 3 weeks as rats are social beasts, so you'll just have to take the chance.

LOKI'S HOME!!!!!

It's almost 3am, and the masterful, crafty escape artist is now in a trap and in his cage, just under 3 weeks from the escape. Now I know what it really sounds like when Loki's caught in the trap - he really struggled for a bit. Thrashed and railed a bunch then started grinding his teeth on the bars. I finally got some cheese and bananas a few days ago, mashed them up and set the bait. Didn't take for two nights, and he tripped it last night - but tonight I wander out to the racket and he's in there! Not happy at all, but he's with his brother now (sort of).

If anyone's up, some input is needed in this next tricky bit: will Thor be safe around Loki now? A rat expert I was put in touch with through the boys' rescue mentioned that the longer Loki's out the less tame he'd become. I don't know how much damage three weeks of freedom would do but either way - I should probably let Loki out of the trap soon(?), but I'm afraid the brothers will fight after their long time apart (plus their non-neutered young male halfsie aggression). When I put the trap in the cage, it took a minute but Thor came and sniffed around - and honestly if they worked together I feel like they could even open the trap door themselves lol. Still I'm a little apprehensive about opening that trap door and Loki springing again, and even then I worry the boys will scrap - Loki wanting to assert dominance over Thor now that he's an experienced adventurer? Thor keeps creeping around, he's definitely trying to work out how to free his bro.

Also, I didn't have water in the trap (he would have tipped it over anyway as he did with the dish of food) so if I go to sleep now Loki will have food but no access to water for some hours. I could mayyybe get up in a few hours and tilt the water bottle tip between the trap bars for a bit - or will he be fine till morning with some Oxbow, blueberries and banana? EDIT: I tilted the water bottle into the trap for Loki and got a new dish of fresh water for Thor, easy solve.

Thanks everyone for the support during this ordeal!! Will be up for a bit anyway emailing the boys' foster family and rescue the good news.
OMG! That's awesome. Do you have any pics of these two? I'd love to see them. I wanna see the wild in his eyes LOL! As you well know, research has shown that rats help other rats escape and so forth. Thor is doing exactly that, trying to help his brother out. LOL

That's what I thought! I'm sure they were even making schemes to free Thor when Loki was out.

I haven't actually managed to get Loki out of the trap yet, I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it so he doesn't run off again. Also I had to clean up so much literal **** from under my stove!! I thought Loki wasn't getting enough food but...what he left behind says otherwise.

I called my local PetValu for some advice since one of the employees has rats, and she suggested I find something to use as a barrier for reintroducing the boys. I don't know if it's worth bothering with that (they'll probably end up fighting at some point anyways) especially since I'll have to take the barrier out...but I'm more concerned with getting Loki out of the trap and settled in the cage.

20201002_141452.jpg
20201002_141516.jpg
20201002_141528.jpg

Last edited:
Once you catch your runaway you are going to have to prepare for a life of no touching, no coming out unless its under crazy restrictions like only in the bathroom once you have ensured there are no holes under counters or behind toilet. He wasn't bonded to you when he escaped, and now hes got that taste of freedom, he might never be trustworthy. I had one wild aggressive girl get loose and unfortunately she was the angry type, and she would climb on the bottom of my bed every night and bite my feet (I had to wear shoes til i caught her again) :/

Omg sorry, but this made me seriously LOL! I feel bad for ya, but shoes in bed cracked me up! 😂

I really hope this doesn't ruin you for rats! They really are such amazing creatures! You should definitely try again, but with fully domesticated rats.

I would just let him out. The longer you wait the harder its going to be. Make sure the trap door is facing away from the cage door, and open it quick and close that cage door. he'll probably take a second before he comes out.

OMG look at that face. He looks just like my Big Schpog and he's got the same 'knowing stare' she does. He is so gorgeous Odinson. I mean it. He is beautiful.

Lil Spaz is right. You gotta let him out with his bro.

I just am in awe of how beautiful he is. He's looking right at you.

BigSchpog that face is so much of the reason I'm not livid that he escaped for so long lol! Their cuteness erases all misdoings 😍

Dena I'll probably revisit getting fully domesticated rats in the future, but not any time soon -- losing a small pet like this is so anxiety-inducing!! I might try a cat next time I'm thinking about getting a companion animal. If I can I'll figure out a way to hang out with some rats in the meantime to get use to them I might do that!

The boys are readjusting nicely - yesterday I figured out opening the trap door without opening the cage. They've been cuddling as usually, so I think it's safe to say they're good and happy to be reunited. They even stayed still long enough for me to take the trap out of the cage so they can have their full space.

So I've started looking for a place to rehome the boys, though it's tough to find where to post (I've posted in one FB group so far). I think the Ottawa Rat Rescue & All Creatures in Toronto are reaching out to their networks for me....can I post a rehoming ad on here and if so which forum? Also should I try posting on FB marketplace or kijiji?

Actually the foster family has agreed to take the boys back! So now looking for someone to transport the boys from Ottawa to Kitchener. Still open to finding a rehome if someone were to reach out though -- though not sure who'd be willing to take the boys permanently right now.

Actually the foster family has agreed to take the boys back! So now looking for someone to transport the boys from Ottawa to Kitchener. Still open to finding a rehome if someone were to reach out though -- though not sure who'd be willing to take the boys permanently right now.
That's great. I really hope you decide to get a pair of fancy rats b/c they are a superior pet to have. They are so lovely and cuddly.

Back