Please help!!! I don't know what to do!! Possible broken foot.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shera zebb

Hi, I really need advice, my rat fell off his cage today and his foot is super swollen, has cuts in it, and a little purple. I’m going to try and take him to the vet but how do I know if it’s just a sprain or broken I really wish I could just know and help him): I’m really worried because he isn’t putting any weight on it but still moving around. I separated him from his brothers and read that I could give him infant ibuprofen but I don't know how safe that is. Please let me know what I should do. This is the image after around 7 hours. Should I wait a couple of days or a week before taking him to the vet? Or do you think this is a sprain and taking him isn't necessary. It looks pretty bad to me so I hope you guys can help me!!!
image3.png

It looks sore but i suspect its a bad sprain not a break.
Infant ibuprofen can definitely be given to help with pain and swelling. If you can get an approximate weight on your lad i can give you a dose BUT getting Metacam (meloxicam) from the vet is a much better idea. They are both the same type of medication, an NSAID, but meloxicam is safer, and only needs to be given once a day. Ibuprofen has to be given every 4-6 hours.

Back