Please help? Ear mites??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SWtrio

EDIT: I also read that sometimes a rat diet high in protein can cause scabbing? Is there a chance that the scabbing is not from mites? I haven't been in contact with other rats. I don't have any other animals. I use fleece bedding and I clean religiously because I have severe asthma. Everything is kept spotless and all outside toys and litter are frozen. So unless my rats had it when I got them, how could they have gotten mites? (I've had my rats for about a month now, they're sisters)

I posted here before because my rat Cassie had an ear infection (all cleared up now thanks to two rounds of antibiotics!) Now, suddenly, out of nowhere I've noticed that Cassie has little crusty yellow bumps on her ears and scabs on her ears as well. My other two rats also have one ear each affected.

Is this ear mites? That's what it looks like to me.

I've read that revolution doesn't treat ear mites? The closest vet that will see my rats is hours away and I won't be able to get in with them for a while. I can't take off work that short notice. There are a few vets close to me that USED to treat rats but no longer do that I MIGHT be able to convince to give me medication (they have before, revolution) without being seen since I'm a client there.

I've read that Ivermectin paste can treat them. My local farm supply store carries apple flavor but I'm so scared! I've never used it before and I don't know how to dose it. They carry 1.87% horse paste Ivermectin. How would I dose that?

I have three female young rats, all under a pound.

Do I have to do a deep cage cleaning and room cleaning? Do I have to throw out any bedding (they use fleece) or my clothing they've touched? Or is it an internal thing that will be treated without going ballistic in my room?

I'm scared of accidentally poisoning them. But I desperately want to treat them as fast as possible. I'm hearing conflicting things. That revolution isn't for ear mites and that Ivermectin helps them.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are the best pictures that I could get as of right now! See the little yellow bumps in the first picture?

68508731_1329279033914964_6043544826907983872_n.jpg
69136929_2496276110601979_7710495641067061248_n.jpg
67705916_2286662908313831_3577818116752670720_n.jpg

From ratguide
Notoedres muris (also termed the ear mange mite) burrows into skin, and can present as yellowish crusty appearing warts on edges of ears and nose, or can appear on other extremities as reddened bumps

For treatment specific to stubborn demodectic , notoedres, and sarcoptid mite infestation
Ivermectin, selamectin (Revolution), or topical treatment of Mitaban (amitraz) may be considered. It is recommended to discuss the proper use of Mitaban with your vet before attempting to use. Ivermectin is considered to have a wider margin of safety.
In cases of mange, treatment may need to be carried out for as long as 6-12 weeks. Skin infection, by normal skin flora, often accompanies persistent, severe, cases of mange. It may become necessary to treat with an antibiotic such as cephalexin (Keflex).

From ratguide
Notoedres muris (also termed the ear mange mite) burrows into skin, and can present as yellowish crusty appearing warts on edges of ears and nose, or can appear on other extremities as reddened bumps

For treatment specific to stubborn demodectic , notoedres, and sarcoptid mite infestation
Ivermectin, selamectin (Revolution), or topical treatment of Mitaban (amitraz) may be considered. It is recommended to discuss the proper use of Mitaban with your vet before attempting to use. Ivermectin is considered to have a wider margin of safety.
In cases of mange, treatment may need to be carried out for as long as 6-12 weeks. Skin infection, by normal skin flora, often accompanies persistent, severe, cases of mange. It may become necessary to treat with an antibiotic such as cephalexin (Keflex).

I went to my local vet (the one that USED to treat rats but doesn't now) they sold me revolution kitten but it's revolution PLUS for kittens. They told me that the formula was the same but it's not? They said that revolution no longer makes revolution that's just selamectin.

This medication says:

revolutionPLUS
selamectin and sarolaner topical solution

each tube contains 15mg selamectin and 2.5mg sarolaner.
2.8-5.5 lbs.
0.25 mL

Is this safe? It's been a few years since I used the old revolution. I just don't remember it saying revolutionPLUS but apparently that's all the vets around here carry now.

Ok I just looked up the safety study and it should be fine to use.

https://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3170&Itemid=3499

Get me a weight and I'll give you a dose. The sarolaner is even safer detmally so try to put the dose as close to the bare skin somewhere they cannot reach to lick it directly.

Thank you so much! I called my vet and asked what the dosage would be and I was told to give me a drop, I gave it to them as close as I could to the bare skin (harder than I thought! Their fur is so thick!) and I can already see a HUGE difference in their ears and energy levels! Thank you so much for the help! I was so worried over this new revolution being safe for them!

If you don't want to spend the big bucks seeing your vet, you can always get Revolution online under the name of Stronghold. Its the EXACT same product!!! Only difference is in the name. Stronghold is marketed for European nations and is not FDA approved, but it is 100% the same thing, same manufacturer, same dosages, even the same packaging. But much less expensive and no prescription needed. :)
Oh, and yes, that looks just like ear mites. I dont believe there has to be other rats in contact with yours for them to get them, thats just lice, but i could be wrong. Good luck, i hope everything goes well for you

you can order Revolution online without a prescription, its just shipped out of Australia for North American customers and that's how it gets past the prescription rules. I use Pets Megastore myself.

Back